MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Error at install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if someone has asked this already (I have looked but I can't see anything), when I go to the installer I get this error message

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homepages/8/d354496098/htdocs/iowrr/forum/inc/class_core.php on line 18

Does anyone have any ideas?
Cheers
Your PHP version is out of date.
FYI you need PHP5+.
I just had the exact same problem, and I'm so glad I found this thread.

When I read my web host's documentation to ensure they ran the required specifications I saw that they ran PHP 5.1.2... so I thought all was ok. What I didn't pay attention to was the fact that they also ran PHP 4.*something... Apparently they put all new websites on 4.*, and that was what I was on, but I didn't know it... I thought I was on 5.1.2.

They give you the option to "upgrade" yourself to PHP 5, as I was told by support. All I needed to do was go into my control panel to the PHP manager and enable PHP 5. Simple. Went back to the web browser, entered the address to get to my forum's install folder and bingo.

Thanks.

PS: I added my story in a bit more detail in the hope that it helps someone. Btw, my site is hosted by Webmasters.com.