MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you need to block search engines, you should know what robots.txt is. Bloat.
If you need to block search engines, you should know what robots.txt is. Bloat.
I honestly have no idea why you would want to deny Google? Because what about other bots?

Anyway, if you do want to deny bots just add:
Deny: *
to your robots.txt

The only people this would even be remotely useful for would be people running forums in schools/workplaces, but then they would probably use an intranet Toungue
(2011-11-10, 09:32 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly have no idea why you would want to deny Google? Because what about other bots?

Anyway, if you do want to deny bots just add:
Deny: *
to your robots.txt

The only people this would even be remotely useful for would be people running forums in schools/workplaces, but then they would probably use an intranet Toungue

I or WordPress never said just google. I said search engines in total and WodPress uses: "Would you like to appear in search engines like Google or Technorati?"

I'm not trying to just make this more bloated or etc I'm just saying for the people who are new to the software or the web in general might need help.

One useful thing I can think of for a board using this was if there was a campus board or something that they didn't want to appear to the public. Or something I would use it for would be a development board that anyone I give the link to can see.

Sure, it can be simple to do it yourself using robots.txt or htaccess but there is some people that don't understand how they work and might need this as a backbone.
But how would this be implemented? The only way I can think of is by using robots.txt...
(2011-11-11, 07:42 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]But how would this be implemented? The only way I can think of is by using robots.txt...

Basically by auto writing it.

Imo again, bloat. It's basic administering.
Wordpress have it for some reason?

+1 muahahha
Pages: 1 2