MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: VPS or Shared?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2011-11-13, 04:41 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-13, 04:34 PM)dmmcintyre3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-11, 07:59 AM)Disturbed Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really recommend VPS for a growing forum, looking back at my own experiences, and wish i would have gone cloud directly (there are plans starting from $50-60 with Cpanel, fully managed, the same you would pay for a good VPS.) Upgrading to a larger server (even when needed only for a day) is click and go.

$50/month is over half of what I pay per year for my VPS, but it does not include and I don't want cPanel or management. If I used cPanel I'd need more ram to run the inefficient software (such as Apache) cPanel requires. Why should I pay $10-15/month for something to configure free software?

cPanel is nowhere near free...

He says all Cpanel does is edit the free software on the VPS. It's a nice UI.
I recommend Shared Hosting. You don't need a VPS yet. VPS's are very time consuming are require constant updates in order for it to be stable and efficient.
Appreciate all of the replies, thank you.

Sticking with shared (seems the most popular option), would there be a noticeable difference in load speed by just moving the forum to UK servers (closer to home), from the US?
Hardly, just get a faster host.

(It would be faster, but we are talking millaseconds, depending on your connection)
(2011-11-13, 05:10 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Hardly, just get a faster host.

(It would be faster, but we are talking millaseconds, depending on your connection)

OK, i was hoping that would be the case. I've been with Hostgator for over a year now, and i've found them excellent, very cheap, fantastic customer services and no problems whatsoever (touch wood).
(2011-11-13, 05:12 PM)david42 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-13, 05:10 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Hardly, just get a faster host.

OK, i was hoping that would be the case. I've been with Hostgator for over a year now, and i've found them excellent, very cheap, fantastic customer services and no problems whatsoever (touch wood).

Remember that though you have unlimited bandwidth and space on Hostgator (which isn't possible), you have to take note of your inodes. If you exceed the number stated in their TOS, your account will be suspended.
The best answer is... it depends.

If you are on a quality shared server that isn't overloaded then it will be faster than a VPS running on budget hardware.

If you have no performance issues yet then I'd stay put.

When you decide to move on, I'd suggest:
www.bigbrainhost.com
www.knownhost.com
or
www.servint.com.

I've been with all three and they are all reputable companies.
Shared is good for sites that are not of importance to you, I had couple of my clients on shared with hostgator and both sites got shut down cause of too much traffic... no email, no phone call just suspended! I took all my and my clients off their shared and migrated to my friends company who I had couple other accounts with...

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for... While VPS might sound like an ok idea, it also depends on how important is up time for you, and who you get your VPS service from... many companies oversell and while you'll be getting better results from that of VPS you still won't be getting what you might need.

My friend offers various hosting plans - has the cheaper ones too but they are limited to bandwidth - no unlimited as that just doesn't make sense. He has a reputable hosting facility in Ontario Canada which I have visited many times and with me having over 15 years of IT experience can assure you is great.

So I had a choice of having co-location - which I did for one of the companies where they are co-locating a crazy dual blade 72GB RAM, 16 x 2.8GHz Zeon's and 2 x 1GB Nics with lots of raided storage at a good rate.

Second i took one of the cloud accounts - see this link to their reason why Cloud is better from VPS: http://www.colosseum.com/product_service...ud_vps.php

I have the Cloud VPDC4 (http://www.colosseum.com/product_service...ckages.php) which gives me 4 Cores, 4GB ram and 150GB space for $265 a month. Not cheap, but cheaper from going dedicated and for sure much more reliable as the network consist of crazy configuration ensuring that almost everything is redounded. So far my downtime was 0, only time the server goes down is when i reboot it or work on it - and even that would not be required if I configured the servers differently...

One thing I will say is that storage space is NOT CHEAP - the hardware required to run it and software licenses are crazy! He talked to me about the number cause I too was asking why so little storage but after talking about the costs he has to cover I understand why it is so and why extra storage is not cheap...

With that being said if you'll be needing tons of space, you might go with combination of cloud and co-located or vps server but that will lead to degraded performance Sad

I spent lots of time testing routes to the network from many different locations to make sure the network is fast and accessible as quickly as possible (number of hops and time).

Now I am not suggesting that you go out there and blow $250 a month, what I am saying is that at the end of the day you need to find a balance point and see what is feasible for you and if the extra $50 is worth making sure that your site is fast and has minimum downtime.

Talk to the company you're going to host with and find out what the limit is for connections - server load at which they'll shut down your site... See if they'll notify you ahead of time or not at all... And remember if a deal seems to good to be true - it probably is Smile

I think just get a good shared package if you don't know what you are doing in a server OS.
I would recommend http://SpeedySparrow.com . Great, great support. Nice fast servers in Dallas TX. They have cPanel included in shared plans, LiteSpeed WebServer (faster and more efficient than Apache). They also use CloudLinux as their OS, which stops one account from hogging the server.

Plus, their prices are really good.
(2012-01-01, 11:09 AM)JarekN Wrote: [ -> ]Shared is good for sites that are not of importance to you, I had couple of my clients on shared with hostgator and both sites got shut down cause of too much traffic... no email, no phone call just suspended! I took all my and my clients off their shared and migrated to my friends company who I had couple other accounts with...

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for... While VPS might sound like an ok idea, it also depends on how important is up time for you, and who you get your VPS service from... many companies oversell and while you'll be getting better results from that of VPS you still won't be getting what you might need.

My friend offers various hosting plans - has the cheaper ones too but they are limited to bandwidth - no unlimited as that just doesn't make sense. He has a reputable hosting facility in Ontario Canada which I have visited many times and with me having over 15 years of IT experience can assure you is great.

So I had a choice of having co-location - which I did for one of the companies where they are co-locating a crazy dual blade 72GB RAM, 16 x 2.8GHz Zeon's and 2 x 1GB Nics with lots of raided storage at a good rate.

Second i took one of the cloud accounts - see this link to their reason why Cloud is better from VPS: http://www.colosseum.com/product_service...ud_vps.php

I have the Cloud VPDC4 (http://www.colosseum.com/product_service...ckages.php) which gives me 4 Cores, 4GB ram and 150GB space for $265 a month. Not cheap, but cheaper from going dedicated and for sure much more reliable as the network consist of crazy configuration ensuring that almost everything is redounded. So far my downtime was 0, only time the server goes down is when i reboot it or work on it - and even that would not be required if I configured the servers differently...

One thing I will say is that storage space is NOT CHEAP - the hardware required to run it and software licenses are crazy! He talked to me about the number cause I too was asking why so little storage but after talking about the costs he has to cover I understand why it is so and why extra storage is not cheap...

With that being said if you'll be needing tons of space, you might go with combination of cloud and co-located or vps server but that will lead to degraded performance Sad

I spent lots of time testing routes to the network from many different locations to make sure the network is fast and accessible as quickly as possible (number of hops and time).

Now I am not suggesting that you go out there and blow $250 a month, what I am saying is that at the end of the day you need to find a balance point and see what is feasible for you and if the extra $50 is worth making sure that your site is fast and has minimum downtime.

Talk to the company you're going to host with and find out what the limit is for connections - server load at which they'll shut down your site... See if they'll notify you ahead of time or not at all... And remember if a deal seems to good to be true - it probably is Smile

I don't really agree with this. I have a dedicated box for $210/mo that is 2x 3.2ghz Xeon (4 core total), 4GB of Ram, 2x 250GB SATA drives and 3000GB bandwidth/mo with RHEL and unlimited domain WHM/cPanel licenses included and full support but self-managed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5