MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Please consider ability to view members' entered search terms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I first asked if this was possible in MyBB, and it turns out that there is a paid plugin:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-107600.html

Can we make this a core feature of MyBB? I feel that every forum system should include this feature.
May i know what's the actual use of this?
I have a 50/50 view on this. It does have an advantage that we can know what people search, but what we gonna do with that?
It would be a cool feature but I'm the same with kavin, 50/50 on if it should be core. I feel alot of people don't need/want it and then it'd just be bloat.
(2011-11-14, 02:20 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]May i know what's the actual use of this?

It certainly helps with marketing (you can see what popular searches are) and ad targeting. Not a bad statistic to have.
I wouldn't mind what my users search, I don't need that info.

Unless you're a large forum such as HF you don't need this info.
It would be a very easy plugin.
(2011-11-15, 03:14 AM)Mebes Net Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't mind what my users search, I don't need that info.

Unless you're a large forum such as HF you don't need this info.

It's more important for a smaller site that needs to know what it's small base of users is searching for. I built that plugin when HF was much smaller and I needed to know what is being searched. The "who" is not as important as the "what".

Example is knowing a keyword is being constantly searched as your top result yet that search doesn't have it's own section.

Say you have a Pet Forum site and you find out "pet food" is searched a lot. Then maybe you can decide to add a dedicated forum for the subject. Or even start a nice sticky with detailed info to help tailor your site to your visitors needs.
I believe there may be opportunities for forum optimization based on trends apparent in the search data. I manage two growing forums where I could see this data being potentially useful.

For example: if terms of a certain related query recur regularly, perhaps that is an indication that a forum needs to be made to cater to said queries.

We already have a system mail log -- why not a system search log?

In terms of potential bloat, how much code would this really take to implement? I presume that it would not be a substantial addition and therefore any bloat claims are unfounded.
Well, after seeing how it can be useful (from posts of labrocca and wimbledon), i think its a good idea to include in 2.0. Smile
FYI MyBB already logs the search keywords. You just need an admincp display to view them.
Pages: 1 2