MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Install Stalls At Theme Installation Step
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2011-11-14, 04:26 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]As to themes, try this; http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Templates_and_Themes

If you can't install in under 30 seconds (depending on FTP connection), you shouldn't even bother with a forum.

He's talking about the step in the installation process, not actually installing themes.
(2011-11-14, 04:26 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]A; Of course it isn't gonna work with a production version. MyBB staff are volunteers, and look at the last release date. Expect it in 1.6.6 MAYBE. imo, more likely way later when it becomes a stable PHP.

As to themes, try this; http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Templates_and_Themes

If you can't install in under 30 seconds (depending on FTP connection), you shouldn't even bother with a forum.

FTP is not used when it's installed on the computer I'm running the installation from. Ex: "localhost"
And I think you mean "If you can't install a theme with MyBB in under 30 seconds, you shouldn't bother using MyBB." Did I not mention I successfully installed themes with Woltlab Burning Board 3 on this environment? Just wondering, cause I thought I did.
Quote:I've seen Woltlab Burning Board 3 install themes with no problems on this environment, literally "unpacking" the files onto the server into the proper folders.
Just saying that I thought I did. Undecided
(2011-11-14, 04:59 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-14, 04:26 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]A; Of course it isn't gonna work with a production version. MyBB staff are volunteers, and look at the last release date. Expect it in 1.6.6 MAYBE. imo, more likely way later when it becomes a stable PHP.

As to themes, try this; http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Templates_and_Themes

FTP is not used when it's installed on the computer I'm running the installation from. Ex: "localhost"
And I think you mean "If you can't install a theme with MyBB in under 30 seconds, you shouldn't bother using MyBB." Did I not mention I successfully installed themes with Woltlab Burning Board 3 on this environment? Just wondering, cause I thought I did.
Quote:I've seen Woltlab Burning Board 3 install themes with no problems on this environment, literally "unpacking" the files onto the server into the proper folders.
Just saying that I thought I did. Undecided

Then if your server is worth half a crap, five seconds as Pyridine said.

Also, good for you. You've installed a commerical software before. So have i. Would you like a cookie?
(2011-11-14, 05:04 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Then if your server is worth half a crap, five seconds as Pyridine said.

Also, good for you. You've installed a commerical software before. So have i. Would you like a cookie?

Sure, if you have any edible cookies. I'm just saying that if I can install a theme on a different forum, then you shouldn't be telling me I shouldn't even bother with a forum if I can't install a theme for MyBB. I was just trying to be as polite as possible that your response was quite broad because MyBB wasn't installing the theme in the fresh install and after I mentioned I installed themes on another forum on the development server without problems. In other words, I think your statement was inaccurate and poorly worded, in case you didn't read it correctly. Smile
The issue has more do with you using an unsupported version of both php and mysql. I think testing something in the specifications it was made for is more reasonable.

The fact that another program works fine doesn't mean it's really an issue with MyBB because as Pyridine said your using unstable software with a program that made to be stable. Who knows maybe the next php6 update will correct the issue and it was never an issue with MyBB...
MyBB is written in PHP 5. If you want to rewrite it for PHP 6, be my guest.
I pondered posting in this for awhile, because more times than not my fat mouth gets me in trouble...but, here goes..

MyBB is not developed to be kept up with development versions of PHP, or any other software it uses/utilizes; hence why you might get some problems. Did you check error logs to see if maybe it's a bug or maybe the script ran out of memory?

Also, MyBB is developed by the staff members having FREE time - why? It's FREE software. So it doesn't work with a development version of PHP, big deal - that by no means makes it horrible. It just means when that version is actually released, the MyBB team might have some work to do - but until then, it is recommended you use a stable version of PHP (as that is what 90% of the developers run). And I'm not trying to bash the original poster, but I feel this all needs to be said. Have a good day! Smile
Just a POI MyBB doesn't support any development - beta or alpha - software, including PHP and browsers.
Pages: 1 2