MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Install Stalls At Theme Installation Step
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I decided to check out MyBB because it was voted as the best free forum software this year. So far, my impressions of it is that it sucks worse that the commercial software AND the free phpBB.

The installation just hangs at "Theme Installation" and I'm installing it directly from the computer it's going to be running on. My question is, why the hell is the step not covered in the Wiki? There is no information on the Theme Installation step for a fresh install, as if the step shouldn't exist. Yet here it is in 1.6.4 downloaded directly from this site.
EDIT: Found the step, very hidden and barely covered at all.

I'd expect some low response time from the script if I were installing it remotely over the internet. But this is ridiculous when its on a privately ran server and I'm installing it via the very computer its going to be running on. There is no excuse for the script to lag so much on this step, especially when all the other steps had no lag (except for setting up the tables, but that went really fast).

Windows XP Professional 32-bit
MySQLi 6.0.4
PHP 6-dev
Apache 2.2

I've had better luck with Woltlab Burning Board, no matter the version. phpBB 2 and 3 were better. SMF was better. XMB was better. I seriously doubt MyBB is any good if I can't get this script to work at install. All the other forums I've installed and tested worked with PHP 6-dev except this one.
Okay first of all, PHP.net clearly states states for you NOT to run development versions in production.

i.e. only use it if
A. You are testing something
B. You are a developer yourself

Secondly, you cannot say something sucks when you haven't even gotten passed installation. You're so stubborn that it sounds like you've already made up your mind. And if that's the case, why even try MyBB?

Thirdly, there's no documentation on theme installation because it's pretty damn self-eplanitory and requires no user input whatsoever.

Now do yourself a favor, get a stable PHP version, use common sense, and judge after you try.
(2011-11-14, 03:56 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]Okay first of all, PHP.net clearly states states for you NOT to run development versions in production.

i.e. only use it if
A. You are testing something
B. You are a developer yourself

Secondly, you cannot say something sucks when you haven't even gotten passed installation. You're so stubborn that it sounds like you've already made up your mind. And if that's the case, why even try MyBB?

Thirdly, there's no documentation on theme installation because it's pretty damn self-eplanitory and requires no user input whatsoever.

Now do yourself a favor, get a stable PHP version, use common sense, and judge after you try.

It's not a production server. It's a test server and it does damn well despite it being a test server. MyBB is the only one giving me problems.
Do yourself a favor and stop assuming its a production server and don't tell me how I should go about installing and testing scripts in environments where I've tested other scripts successfully with little to no problems. I use this environment to see just how well scripts work outside the comfortable environment and for this script to stop at Theme Installation on a fresh install is ridiculous when I can think of other steps that should have been problematic instead of "Theme Installation"

EDIT: And for the record, I can judge a script anyway I choose. If installation is a problem, it's a bad impression. "This sucks!" If installation is successful in a development environment, that's a good impression. "That's awesome!"
Well then have fun with your methods of "testing". I honestly hope you never become a quality assurance representative.

Seeing as how the solution has been stated, please mark this thread as "Solved" to avoid future confusion. Have a nice night.
(2011-11-14, 04:13 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]Well then have fun with your methods of "testing". I honestly hope you never become a quality assurance representative.

Seeing as how the solution has been stated, please mark this thread as "Solved" to avoid future confusion. Have a nice night.

It's not solved. I want to know just how long the Theme Installation is supposed to take.
EDIT: Oh and just what is there to install in this Theme Installation step? I've seen Woltlab Burning Board 3 install themes with no problems on this environment, literally "unpacking" the files onto the server into the proper folders.
It is solved. The cause of your issue is you using an unsupported PHP version, use something in the 5.x.x branch.
(2011-11-14, 04:19 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]It is solved. The cause of your issue is you using an unsupported PHP version, use something in the 5.x.x branch.

Not solved. How long should it take for Theme Installation?
Less than 5 seconds.
A; Of course it isn't gonna work with a production version. MyBB staff are volunteers, and look at the last release date. Expect it in 1.6.6 MAYBE. imo, more likely way later when it becomes a stable PHP.

As to themes, try this; http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Templates_and_Themes

If you can't install in under 30 seconds (depending on FTP connection), you shouldn't even bother with a forum.
(2011-11-14, 04:25 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]Less than 5 seconds.

Now it's solved.
Pages: 1 2