MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why not support mssql ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am unable to fing the answer p**bb using mssql and all kind ob dbs make them so popular and hasel free.
I used remote mysql but its making my forum slow and database opened to all hacker and easily accessible.
So why not any other bd using mybe i love mybb but unfortunately i have to move other .
Sorry , if mybb supports mssql i will be first to use it.

IIRC Yii supports MSSQL, so MyBB 2.0 should.
Yii seams to support MSSQL, then MyBB 2 may support it, too.
Why can't you use mySQL though. It runs on windows.
the problem with using MSSQL for a web app is the limited functionality with regard to how most web apps works. I could easily write an MSSQL class that works with MyBB, however it will not provide the additional query context that a web app needs for pagination, etc. It would also require modifications to most every core file in MyBB.

All the currently supported DBMS in MyBB support LIMIT queries so the most queries in MyBB can be used by all the supported systems. Postgres has a few exceptions, but in general it uses the same queries as MySQL.

However, to get pagination and such behavior in MSSQL would require a custom set of queries and often temporary tables where any current query that supports LIMIT is used. This is resource intensive and slow to perform.

You would be better off installing MySQL on your Windows box
(2011-11-14, 05:39 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC Yii supports MSSQL, so MyBB 2.0 should.

(2011-11-14, 05:42 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]Yii seams to support MSSQL, then MyBB 2 may support it, too.

Yii may have an MSSQL interface, but that does not mean that MyBB should have to add all the additional code specific to it
Paveman I really don't know to be honest. I saw Tomm say that other DB engines would work if they worked on Yii, so i assumed the same for DB types.
MSSQL is inferior. There is no reason not to use MySQL 5.5.
(2011-11-14, 05:49 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]the problem with using MSSQL for a web app is the limited functionality with regard to how most web apps works. I could easily write an MSSQL class that works with MyBB, however it will not provide the additional query context that a web app needs for pagination, etc. It would also require modifications to most every core file in MyBB.

All the currently supported DBMS in MyBB support LIMIT queries so the most queries in MyBB can be used by all the supported systems. Postgres has a few exceptions, but in general it uses the same queries as MySQL.

However, to get pagination and such behavior in MSSQL would require a custom set of queries and often temporary tables where any current query that supports LIMIT is used. This is resource intensive and slow to perform.

You would be better off installing MySQL on your Windows box
(2011-11-14, 05:39 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC Yii supports MSSQL, so MyBB 2.0 should.

(2011-11-14, 05:42 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]Yii seams to support MSSQL, then MyBB 2 may support it, too.

Yii may have an MSSQL interface, but that does not mean that MyBB should have to add all the additional code specific to it

As long as we stick to Yii's querying methods we're fine. The problem is when we need to run a specifically written query Toungue (which may happen)
As this is only the second time in my 3 and a half years here I can recall someone asking about MSSQL I wouldn't exactly say it's a desperately needed feature; how many people actually use MSSQL?? Either way, I know Kohana 2 can support MSSQL if you use the query builder so if Yii works in the same way then it'd be supported, but don't really know why you'd use it over MySQL or even PostgreSQL; what benefits does it have??
(2011-11-20, 11:54 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]what benefits does it have??

none really.

and the way Yii (and others likely) get around the LIMIT and OFFSET issue is to make assumptions about the query structure, modify the SQL on the fly in a three-deep set of sub-queries and a bunch of regex work over several loops parsign the SQL statement.

It may work in 99.99% of the cases, but it is my no means efficient.

Just review lines 133-283 in ./yii/framework/db/schema/CMssqlCommandBuilder.php

Pages: 1 2 3