MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mandatory "How did you find us"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've read somewhere, maybe community.mybb, that a good way to reduce spam is to make it mandatory for new members to fill out the bio section. Instead of the bio you change it to "How did you find us" and make the users fill this section out.

Is this truely a good way?

If so, how are I implement this?
It would help untargeted spam bots.
But if someone target your forum, they will more likely design the bot to fill in that field too. Since you won't expect a specific answer (because people might find you in different ways), the bots can enter almost anything in that field and register.

And moreover, this would fail if its a human spammer.
(2011-11-15, 07:33 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]And moreover, this would fail if its a human spammer.

All "anti-spam measures" fail against a human spammer. When it comes to those you just have to bear down and use tools like Goodbye Spammer.
(2011-11-15, 07:40 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-15, 07:33 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]And moreover, this would fail if its a human spammer.

All "anti-spam measures" fail against a human spammer. When it comes to those you just have to bear down and use tools like Goodbye Spammer.

Well, things like CAPTCHA can atleast slow them down, whereas with this "how did you find us" field, they can enter anything in it. You are not checking whether its true, unlike Captcha.
What would be the code to add security question to guest's post? They have to first enter the security question to post as guest. I think that would help a lot. Most of the spam I get is automated.
99% of all automated spam I've encountered on my forums fills out all of their bio fields with "man" so if you had a "How did you find us?" question on order, the automated spam bot will reply with spam.
I found registration security question plugin a good tool to stop non-human bots. There are numerous professional bot coders who are breaking down recaptcha's code.
(2011-11-16, 10:41 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]I found registration security question plugin a good tool to stop non-human bots. There are numerous professional bot coders who are breaking down recaptcha's code.

I agree to the Registration Security Question Plugin. It stops almost all nonhuman spammers. It might be a good idea to have it be a question that is answered in the registration agreement since you can edit that template.Toungue
Security Question Plugin has reduced the spam done, by registered members, by 99% ever since I installed it AND added my own questions.
Hmm. This topic is not about "Security questions plugin". Angry
Pages: 1 2