MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Deleting First Post Deletes Entire Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see this was brought up as a bug a couple of years ago (here), but was rejected. I still see this as a bug/flaw...

Consider this example, for how it works currently:
  1. Standard user creates a new thread
  2. Various users (including OP) reply, over a period of time
  3. Standard user decides to delete his first post
  4. Entire thread is deleted
Basically, the user has been allowed to delete the posts of other users. This should not be possible, as only admins should be allowed to delete posts other than their own. I believe the standard user should receive an error message, when trying to delete their first post, when there are any other posts in the thread, that are not their own.

Example should play out like this:
  1. Standard user creates a new thread
  2. Various users (including OP) reply, over a period of time
  3. Standard user decides to delete his first post
  4. Standard user gets an error, explaining that they are unable to delete the first post, since replies (from other users) exist. Suggest editing their first post instead.
NOTE: If an admin is deleting the first post, they should receive a warning that the entire thread will be deleted. HOWEVER... I prefer that the next post in line become the first post... Or at least to have the option for it to work that way, on a case by case basis.

Currently, this is the warning that pops up, and it is not entirely accurate, because the thread will be deleted even if there are still posts not marked for deletion.
Quote:Are you sure you wish to delete the selected posts from the thread? Once they have been deleted they cannot be restored. If there are no posts left in the thread, the thread will also be deleted.
A user is the moderator of their own thread. If you don't want a user to be able to delete their thread, don't give them permission.

It's pretty much summed up in [Issue #577].
(2011-11-15, 05:09 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]A user is the moderator of their own thread. If you don't want a user to be able to delete their thread, don't give them permission.

It's pretty much summed up in [Issue #577].

Thanks, I read thru that whole thing before posting, but still think it is not designed correctly. It seems like the developers have no interest in changing this behavior, but it should, at the very least, be enhanced to properly warn the person that is attempting to delete their post. They should be fully informed that this will delete the entire thread, with any replies that other users have made.

This still makes no sense to me -- bottom line is that a user should not be able to delete posts from other users. If they create a new thread, nobody else posts in it, and they want to delete it, then that's fine.
^ at present please do not allow members to delete own threads & own posts
instead, suggest them to report own threads & own posts if they need deletion
(2011-11-15, 05:31 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]^ at present please do not allow members to delete own threads & own posts
instead, suggest them to report own threads & own posts if they need deletion

I dunno, the ability to delete one's own post is good. I appreciate your suggestion, but what you propose seems more like a workaround for a problem that should be resolved.
^ to OP:

So the one who creates a thread shouldn't be able to EDIT the first post also, because instead of deleting it, he can change it's title and content to something irrelevant...

Example:

User > New thread,
Title: What do you think of MyBB?
Content: Title says it all
Posts 1,187
Post1: I love it, Post2: I can't live without it....

User > Delete first post, WARNING: You can't because there are one or more replies.
User > Edit first post,
Title: What do you think of S-E-X?
Posts 1,187
(2011-11-15, 06:28 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]^ to OP:

So the one who creates a thread shouldn't be able to EDIT the first post also, because instead of deleting it, he can change it's title and content to something irrelevant...

Example:

User > New thread,
Title: What do you think of MyBB?
Posts 1,187

User > Delete first post, WARNING: You can't because there are one or more replies.
User > Edit first post,
Title: What do you think of S-E-X?
Posts 1,187

Understood, but at this point (your example), you would rely on your users to report the inappropriate post. I don't see this concern as a reason to allow OP to blow away other people's posts. That is not a privilege that a standard user should have.
we may have to adjust with available features until the developers modify their methodology for
certain features ... in general, we do not allow thread deletion & posts removal by general members
AND we also put a time restriction for editing own posts ...