MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: help with unbuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I finally got my Ubuntu discs in the mail the other day and I've been trying to set ubuntu up as a second OS. Dual booting with Windows xp. I created my second partition for Ubuntu and was trying to run it as a live cd first, but each time i stops and gives me this error:
Quote:Failed to start the x server
which is my Graphics interface or something.
So i went to the Ubuntu forums and someone said to type this command in:
Quote:sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

so i did and it gave me some options to select from and driver,
I use a Radeon PCI 9250 graphics card, but I couldn't find it on the list. IT did have the intel extreme graphics controller card that came built onto my mother board there, but I don't use that one.

So I haven't been able to install it or even get it to work via the live cd since it stops at this point.

also somone suggested that i might go into dpgk-reconfigure xserver... and soon and select VESA option and go through and if that doesnt work select vGA. and then download the proper drivers after you get in.
but so far i havent been able to.

i notice that the default pci slot or whatever that it has the graphics card on is pci:0:2:0:0 or osmething and my radeon is on pci slot 2 so i try changing it to pci::2:0:0 or whatever but that doesnt work either.

How can it save the settings if its a live cd anyways?

does anyone here have any suggestions on how I could get this running?
Im brand new to linux and I really wanted to see what this was like.

thanks
-josh

Firstly, your best off asking at the ubuntu forum
Secondly, try the "vesa" driver, It works with most cards.
I think DennisTT uses ubunto though, and I know a lot of MyBB users use Linux, so he was fine posting it here.
I use Ubuntu too. I do think it is something more suited for http://www.ubuntuforums.org/
how do you pronounce Ubuntu?
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/faq Wrote:How do you pronounce Ubuntu?

Ubuntu, an African word from Zulu and Xhosa, is pronounced "oo-BOON-too". See the other FAQ on its meaning, it's a worthwhile read, and no, you're not the first person to wonder.
Smile
I posted on their forums and no one has replied and its been forever.
i;ve gotten more help on sites such as this Toungue that entire support thing they advertise is false. lol

Okay well my sony vaio came with a built in intel extreme graphics controller, so i took out my radeon and hooked the monitor up to it and the ubuntu live cd loaded fine, but I don't want to keep taking my radeon out to use ubuntu, so if i install ubuntu while using my intel graphics controller and then download the radeon drivers and install them, i should be able to put the card back in and it should work fine then right?

Who'd of known this linux would be so complicated.

Intel Extreme Graphics Controllers!

I installed Ubuntu on a machine the other day which has an integrated Intel graphics controller and had the same problems with Ubuntu.

When it boots it'll tell you that X11 can't load and it should show you a text based dialog asking if you wish to view the log. Click yes. Mine showed in it somewhere something about no suitable video bios modes found.

One of the possible solutions (which I didn't try) is to ensure that in the BIOS the video memory is set correctly.

When you're at the terminal (which it should throw you to when it can't boot X or GDM), login and type: (going by memory here)

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf -w

You'll be in Nano with the X11 configuration file open. Down in the file you will find a mention of the name of your video card, can you paste it here? Below that there should be a driver line - i810 or similar.

Just want to see if it is the same problem I had whilst getting an Ubuntu box up and running.

I don't have my solution or anything on me at the moment and won't until I'm back in class next Monday.
MiNT Wrote:
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/faq Wrote:How do you pronounce Ubuntu?

Ubuntu, an African word from Zulu and Xhosa, is pronounced "oo-BOON-too". See the other FAQ on its meaning, it's a worthwhile read, and no, you're not the first person to wonder.
Smile
thanks for that. so what does it mean?
bnza8 Wrote:thanks for that. so what does it mean?

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/faq Wrote:What does "Ubuntu" mean?

Ubuntu is an African word, which has been described as "too beautiful to translate into English". The essence of ubuntu is that "a person is a person through other people". It describes humanity as "being-with-others" and prescribes what "being-with-others" should be all about. Ubuntu emphasises sharing, consensus, and togetherness. It's a perfect concept for Free Software and open source. Here's a great article that describes Ubuntu, which may help define it. Wikipedia also has a good definition.
Smile
Pages: 1 2