MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Do I need to enable Gzip Compression
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

On my forums at http://forums.mailshayari.com/ , I can see below output in the footer

GZip Compression: Disabled

Do I need to enable it and what are its benefits?

Any help pls
if your web host has Gzip support then you may enable it AND set its level at medium (may be 4) .
it is supposed to help in increasing speed of pages loading - etc..
(2011-11-16, 04:56 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]if your web host has Gzip support then you may enable it AND set its level at medium (may be 4) .
it is supposed to help in increasing speed of pages loading - etc..

ok Thanks But how to enable it Can u pls tell
^ admin panel --> configuration --> settings --> Server and Optimization Options -->
Use GZip Page Compression? <-- select yes ; GZip Page Compression Level <-- let it be 4
(2011-11-16, 05:15 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]^ admin panel --> configuration --> settings --> Server and Optimization Options -->
Use GZip Page Compression? <-- select yes ; GZip Page Compression Level <-- let it be 4

If my host does not provide Gzip compression and I do teh above settings as suggested by you, is there any harm and will Gzip work then also?
^ admin panel --> tools & maintenance --> view php info <-- search for gzip compression
is it shown as enabled ? in general, all web hosts have it as enabled (except some free web hosts)
why gzip is good is it allows faster loading times for your pages, and cuts down on the amount of bandwith you are using. The reason it's faster, is that it's quicker for the client to decompress, than it is to download the larger file sizes of uncompressed.

Something I'm curious about, does the gzip function for mybb also compress the css files or do you need to do that separately?
htaccess.txt will compress css if you renamed it to .htaccess
It all depends on your host weather it supports mod_deflate or not
(2011-11-17, 10:06 AM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]^ admin panel --> tools & maintenance --> view php info <-- search for gzip compression
is it shown as enabled ? in general, all web hosts have it as enabled (except some free web hosts)

Thanks .. enabled Gzip compression as my Host provides this facility lol
Another thing besides speed is that Gzip also decreases bandwidth usage by compressing the sent packages.
Pages: 1 2