MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Your IP Address is not valid for this session." (with details)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have seen this post in the past. However, the threads I noticed when researching appear to be older. As well, I have a slightly different situation, as I believe I know directly what is causing it.

Okay, onto my problem.

I'm working on editing templates in the Admin CP. As a result, I am constantly saving and refreshing pages. Every few minutes or so, I seem to get a "Your IP Address is not valid for this session" error.

From reading past posts, it seems to be linked to the admin's IP Address changing dynamically. As a certified IT technician, I can understand this, and why this security feature is important.

However, as well, as a certified IT technician, I began to run a log of my internet and IP Address activity as soon as I read about the cause of the error. The thing is: My IP Address is not changing at all.

It only gets stranger from here though:

I happen to have both an IPv4 address and an IPv6 address. The former, of course, is provided via my ISP. The latter is provided via the Hurricane Electric Tunnel Broker. The IPv6 address happens to be my primary that I use.

I have my forum setup via a web host that offers IPv6, so I am connecting to the forum via IPv6, and I can provide logs to show this if requested.

Now, if you ask how this connects to IP issue, here is how. Looking through the logs in the Admin CP, it seems that MyBB is constantly shifting between reading my IPv6 and IPv4 address. This seems to be the source of the issue. However, I am unsure as to why this may be happening, as my IPv6 connection is not dropping, and if I read my profile on the active users list, it only ever reads my IPv6 address.

Is there any idea as to why this may be happening?

Alright, well, I hope my rambling and network savvy posting doesn't go over too many heads. Sorry if anyone is confused by this.

Thank you.
I don't know IPv6 that well but thank you so much for providing all the details. Many people wanting support don't these days.
Another development:

[attachment=24675]

As can be seen here, I made an edit at 18:24 and 18:27.

At 18:25, I received the message again. However, from what you can see in the IP Log, my IP Address has not changed.

(Believe me, the IP Address is completely identical, I censored out all but the first and last bits for obvious security reasons.)
(2011-11-16, 06:07 PM)austinm4m1 Wrote: [ -> ]it seems that MyBB is constantly shifting between reading my IPv6 and IPv4 address.
MyBB can only detect the IP that is used by the connection to the server. If that IP changes constantly there must be a problem between your computer and the server.
(2011-11-16, 06:50 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-16, 06:07 PM)austinm4m1 Wrote: [ -> ]it seems that MyBB is constantly shifting between reading my IPv6 and IPv4 address.
MyBB can only detect the IP that is used by the connection to the server. If that IP changes constantly there must be a problem between your computer and the server.

I will need to look into it.

However, as a recent development shows, it seems as if the issue is continuing the same, with one difference: the log isn't even showing a shift in my address. It is now kicking me on only the IPv6 address, from what the log can read.
MyBB doesn't support IPv6, that could be the reason. Wink
(2011-11-16, 07:18 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB doesn't support IPv6, that could be the reason. Wink

My only question is, then: Why is it running on my IPv6 address then?

As well, this is only a new occurrence. I have been using this IPv6 address for several months now.
Dev Site Search: IPv6

MyBB doesn't support IPv6. That's not to say you can't use it, but you will run into issues.
Hi,
I am having the exact same problems:
in the administrator logs many ipv6 addresses appear and some ipv4.
But the main question is: how do I turn off ipv6 when my internet provider (Deutsche Telekom) uses it?
Thanks for your help.
Markus
(2013-05-27, 09:59 PM)Pegolon Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
I am having the exact same problems:
in the administrator logs many ipv6 addresses appear and some ipv4.
But the main question is: how do I turn off ipv6 when my internet provider (Deutsche Telekom) uses it?
Thanks for your help.
Markus

That's out of the scope of MyBB support. You'll need to contact your ISP.