MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Drupal or Joomla?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in need of a CMS, to power my website. It is currently running MyBB and releasing plugins/applicaitons from a forum isn't easy Sad

I want a good, popular cms with plenty of modules/plugins. So far I have come across drupal and Joomla.

My thoughts so far:

Drupal:
- Very extendible, very customisable
- No many themes Sad I dont REALLY want to have to pay more than $40 for a theme, which kind of puts custom ones out fo the picture.
- Not that many themes out there, that look remotely how I want anyway Sad
- One good-ish theme that i might be interested in is: http://drupal.jackncode.com/smooth/

Joomla:
- Lots of themes, lots of modules
- Used it before
- No themes as of yet I like, but there are at least 10x more to look through than Drupal
- Not as powerful
- Kind of like this theme: http://themeforest.net/item/genesis-busi...iew/681145

Anything else anyone can add? Or any sleek, grey, black and white themes anyone can find, like above posted themes.

Thanks,
Tom
Urgh. Neither IMO - never been a Joomla/Drupal fan. Ever. You state the need for modules, but what modules do you need exactly? I'm a personal fan of PyroCMS (read: I absolutely love it), though it's not too well known - creating themes/modules is an absolute breeze though. There's also MODx which is fairly good.
I like Joomla, especially because it has JFusion for MyBB integration Toungue
I'd suggest Drupal. Like 90% of Joomla plugins for some reason seem to be incredibly insecure. Not sure why, just something i've noticed.
(2011-11-16, 08:51 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Urgh. Neither IMO - never been a Joomla/Drupal fan. Ever. You state the need for modules, but what modules do you need exactly? I'm a personal fan of PyroCMS (read: I absolutely love it), though it's not too well known - creating themes/modules is an absolute breeze though. There's also MODx which is fairly good.

+1
I need to take another look at PyroCMS, thanks for the reminder, euantor.
MODx is also great for people with moderate to advanced coding skills

(2011-11-16, 09:02 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]I like Joomla, especially because it has JFusion for MyBB integration Toungue

I wish something like jFusion was available without being tied to Joomla!

(2011-11-16, 09:28 PM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]I'd suggest Drupal. Like 90% of Joomla plugins for some reason seem to be incredibly insecure. Not sure why, just something i've noticed.

Drupal (even without many mods) used to make an insane amount of db queries /page (??? well over 120 queries I read somewhere ??); Do you know if that has been greatly improved yet?

...and/ or is the speed much better in recent versions?

Between the 2 drupal hands

I know you're decent with CSS so I would recommend just picking up one of the starter themes (you can do everything you'll need through css alone with them). The one I found the best was Adaptive themes starter one.

I know you want a lot modules and stuff but what are the must haves I can look for something Toungue.
Joomla is really better and easier to use than Drupal. Working with Drupal is really difficult and if you are not professional, choose Joomla.
I personally prefer Joomla. The support is better, there are way more modules and it's way more flexible.