MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: General question about changing the default tempalte?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently discovered MyBB and love the looks of everything I see with it. I'm just wondering how difficult it is to create my own template or design with it? For example, I like these two sites' layouts http://www.mybblog.org/, and http://www.golfrewind.com. I like how they have the site broke down into two halves. The right site for login, visitors online, stats, ads, etc...and then the left for your actual forum.

Is this difficult to do? I mean, am I going to need to sit down and play with the code for hours on end to get something like this? Or if I'm already familar with HTML/CSS (which I am), should it be really obvious?

Thanks
Having just dived into myBB myself, I can say that the second template is easier to recreate than the first. The myBB template system still seems in the infancy stages.

The second one can be created by modifying header with a custom layer. Then modifying the width of the container cell to shrink your forum down. Then you would need to create another custom layer around the container cell. Then at the end of the footer you would put another custom layer containing the content on the right.

The first one can be done, but the features on the right in the first one are done through mods and not done through the template alone. That is the only reason it would be more difficult.
Thanks for the reply. The second one (golfrewind), I was mainly looking at the main forum and the section on the right side of the page. The header info with logo, etc, wasn't of interest.

Well, it sounds easy enough, but I guess there is only one way to find out. I just need to download it and start testing and if I have a problem, come right back here. lol.

If you are familiar with (X)HTML and CSS there should be no problem.
[wiki]Admin CP Themes[/wiki]
[wiki]Admin CP Templates[/wiki]
Michael83 Wrote:If you are familiar with (X)HTML and CSS there should be no problem.
[wiki]Admin CP Themes[/wiki]
[wiki]Admin CP Templates[/wiki]

Thanks! Yes, I am what I would call intermediate level with xHTML and CSS. I can get around, but still need a reference every now and again on certain things. So hopefully I'll not have any problems with this.

Thanks for the links also. I hadn't looked around hard enough yet, but I was hoping there was something like this.