MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Passwords question?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dylan M. is the lead merge system developer here for merge system I do believe, so maybe he'll know, though any answer is welcome because I'm stumped.

When you convert from phpBB to MyBB, does MyBB merge system do something to the old phpBB hashes before the user logs in and it gets converted to MyBB's way of handling passwords? Eg. If I compare a users password hashed merged from phpBB's old database, and the password before the user logs in and get converted in MyBB's database after conversion, the hash in the databases don't match even though the user never logged in before hand to convert it. I was wondering what exactly MyBB merge system does to the old phpBB hashes before the login? Or at least, where in the merge system php files does the password conversion goes on from phpBB to MyBB?

I think that makes sense,
thanks a million!
Jonah
The Merge System includes a plugin called "loginconvert". When you merge, the phpBB password is stored in a special field for the passwords from the old forum. When the user logs in the first time, the loginconvert plugin is run and verifies the password entered using the phpBB hashing method. If the password is correct for the phpBB hashing method, it rehashes the entered plaintext password for MyBB and stores it.