MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Cannot copy over mybb to another comp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My main HD is going out and I decided to send it off. I backed up all the data and the web site I'm working on. I had mybb installed using apache, php5, mysql 5. Everything was working and the forums had no problem.

I installed windows onto a new HD and installed apache, php5, and mysql 5. Everything is working fine.

I then copied over my website and I cannot get mybb working. When clicking the link to the forum mybb pops up with an error about the mysql database. This is obvious since there is no mysql database yet. I also changed the mysql root password.

When I go to mybb/install/index.php it asks me if I want to upgrade or start fresh. When I click upgrade I get a blank page.

It seems I can start fresh as it goes through all the stuff I initially went through but I lose my forum data.

I do have the database from the original but have to find it.

I'm curious as to what the issue is when "upgrading" since the same type of process will happen when the website is moved to another server.

Does Mybb store the forum data in an sql database or is it in a file? I'm hoping I can do a fresh install then copy the the forum directory overwriting the old. I'll just have to fixup the mysql login data and recreate the database.

if you have xampp / wampp server then the move should be done from the application interface ...

for xampp , you may run setup_xampp.bat , so that the paths can be adjusted by application

myBB forum data is stored in database ; it is not a single sql file - database needs to be exported for use
Import the sql DB using phpmyadmin and then edit inc/config.php with the new DB settings.