MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anti-spam tools are not efficient at all
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The anti-spam tools are not efficient and miss features.

I was expected 1.6.5 to come with some strong anti bot/spam features, but only signature links option don't do the trick alone.

Any plans to fix that? The existing mods does not cover the problem.

I don't want to sounds rude, but I am considering switching to other board software. I like myBB but this bots problem can't go forever.
Enable the hidden captcha, enable reCAPTCHA 3, enable akismet, install G33K's security question plugin, install Yumi's Spamalyser. If you're still getting spam after all that, I'd be surprised.
We're working on something called Spam Ninja - an official plugin that will provide better spam protection.

Enabling reCAPTCHA could also limit a bot's possibilities, and in the short term enabling the hidden CAPTCHA too. The idea behind the 'hidden' one is that it provides a platform for other spam protection plugins to hook into a template that is controlled by a default setting. Hopefully plugin authors will take advantage of this.
P.S. Also, see Finding Spam with MyBB 1.6.5. No matter how much protection you place, it will always be circumvented. The ability to locate spam is still probably the best tool.
Ok, I've come back to results after enabling reCAPTCHA.

The spammers dropped to 4 for today, on my both myBB forums.

This is a huge improvement considering in last week I got about 1000-1200 spammers PER DAY. Apparently, the default captcha image is hacked. Maybe adding an option to customize the image will help.

/cheers

PS. Waiting for Spam Ninja plugin also.
Any idea when it'll be done? :p
(2011-11-28, 10:43 PM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]Any idea when it'll be done? :p

Straight from the 1.6.5 release post:

Quote:The Spam Ninja update will be available later this year and will be completely optional if you use it or not. More information on the new features it introduces will be announced closer to the time.

I am setting up a new board. I have phpbb and mybb set up for my users to demo. phpbb has what I think is a great anti-spam method. When a new user registers, they are added to a "newly registered users" user group. That group is configured so that the first N posts must be approved by a moderator, after which the users are dropped from the "newly registered users" group.

By default, N=3. That does a nice job of defeating the human spam bots whose first post is "Hi, I just registered and am looking forward to posting here".

I like mybb because it offers the threaded viewing style that many of the users of my antiquated wwwboard prefer.

Bill Ask Dr Stoll

This can be done with mybb already you just have to set it up your self.
Either that or you can use the Required Approvals plugin and set it to 3 or whatever value you like.