MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Your feedback: Security Updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
In a perfect world, these wouldn't be necessary at all. We're aiming for 1.2 to be a secure release but there is still always the possibility of vulnerabilities being found in MyBB.

What we're after is what are your preferred ways of patching MyBB, as well as what would be (if the options were available) your preferred method of patching MyBB.
  • Manual patch files
    Manually applying the changes myself to my code.
  • Changed file distributions
    Downloading the changed files released with the update and uploading them directly.
  • Downloading the complete release
    Downloading the complete release from the MyBB website ensuring I have the latest copy of all files.
  • Downloading update plugins (Not yet available)
    Downloading a plugin from a security announcement which acts as a fix to the security issue. You upload the plugin to your board and then enable it in the Admin CP and your board is patched.
  • Update service (Not yet available)
    An update service which is similar to Windows Update in Windows, or System Update in Mac OS X. It fetches a list of available updates and then attempts to automatically apply them to your board.

(You may select one or more options from the poll)

Thanks. Smile
I'd go for manual patches, until you could get a "Update Service" available.
I voted for:
  • Changed file distributions - what I use currently. I don't have enough code modifications to need to manually update...
  • Update plugin - this would be nice for heavily modded boards, probably not mine specifically, but it would still be nice to have...
  • And Update service, this would be the easiest to use, of course! Smile Would it provide you with a list of files that you would have to CHMOD or something, though, to make it work?
Belloman Wrote:I voted for:
  • Changed file distributions - what I use currently. I don't have enough code modifications to need to manually update...
  • Update plugin - this would be nice for heavily modded boards, probably not mine specifically, but it would still be nice to have...
  • And Update service, this would be the easiest to use, of course! Smile Would it provide you with a list of files that you would have to CHMOD or something, though, to make it work?

I think if you could provide your ftp details, they could use an ftp class instead of having to chmod.
i'd want anything auttomatic that would not mess up my mods, it is a real pain to do every thing manualy
A possible plugin patch sounds cool. At the moment I use the automatic patch, though I might have to start using the manual patches due to having modified a few of my files. Haven't kept track, which is why I might have to go that route! LOL
Update service would be nice. There will not be any hassle of downloading patch files anymore.
The plugin, IMO, would be frigin' awesome. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
I voted for manual patching as I always update this way because of the modes.
At the moment I manually patch files as I have some mods done and I want to be sure that I don't ruin them as they are a pain in the lime, doing things this way is a pain though too.
Having the 'Update service' would be sweet at least to update all the unmodified files without me having to think about it. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3