MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Careers/Jobs in Web development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need to figure out what I'm doing for secondary education soon (currently half way through my senior year) so I would appreciate all the communities knowledge on careers or jobs in Web Development which would include any of the following:

- Core Design
- Mark Up (HTML, CSS, javascript)
- Dynamic development (php, java, applets, etc.)
- Web management (content and databases)

I live on the east coast of Canada (not that location plays a huge role in online jobs) so I have no idea where to start, should I apply at an established company (If one around here exists)? Should I start my own freelance business? I really need some guidance in my life right now in regards to my decisions so all comments are valued Smile

Post your experience, if any. That will help me as well!
Not sure about Canada. But in a country like India (mine) where there is tough competition, i would prefer getting job from a company (for steady income) and freelance in part-time.
Your best bet would be to apply to some design/coding firms and work your way up. It's hard to start your own freelancing business from the get-go.

I read an ebook, Design Professionalism, not too long ago, and a bunch of the content is about jobs (freelancing, design firms, etc.). I suggest you take a look at it if you want to know how to formulate a career path.
It depends what you do. If I were you I'd go for complete computers, and then specilize in web design. College computer courses in Canada don't get you as far as they should. DO NO TAKE THE DESIGNING COURSE IN A COLLEGE. You already know what they are teaching you.
(2011-11-29, 03:37 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]It depends what you do. If I were you I'd go for complete computers, and then specilize in web design. College computer courses in Canada don't get you as far as they should. DO NO TAKE THE DESIGNING COURSE IN A COLLEGE. You already know what they are teaching you.

That's what I was thinking about doing, I might take computer science's but I don't know if academic classes will cut it for the prerequisites.
Academic will go for most uni's. You don't need to be super smart.

A hint; Don't party the first few weeks. They have the most work then. To weed out those who aren't ready.