MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anyone NOT planning to upgrade to 1.6.5?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As has been said many times already, all of us should upgrade.

That doesn't mean it has to be immediately, i've just taken my time with this one as it has been quite significant as far as upgrades go.

I'm spending a lot of time just reading problems people have had in anticipation, a good look at the upgrade documentation, and taking backups in order for a hopefully smooth upgrade very soon.
I'll be upgrading, but I'm not looking forward to it. It's always more work that I think it would be.
It is extremely recommended to upgrade. Many bugs were fixed and many featres were added.
I had the same feeling, but last night I decided to go for it after finding the plugin fix posted by paveman

In excitement i forgot to take a back-up but everything went smooth. I'll advise you to fix the plugins before you upgrade.
I'm not upgrading. I'm a newbie and what I have seen with the problems being posted after upgrading it has put me off.

I don't understand changing plugins, I have only just figured out how to install some. The technical people out there talk as if it's something I should know about, but I don't. and that is why I use plugins. I don't know or understand how they work so how can I change them.

There are some very talented people making the plugins and upgrades and I very much appreciate the work you all do. but we can't all just add a few characters of code, or modify core files and patches.

I can fix a leaking tap or change the oil in my car, but when it comes to changing the workings of my forum I am lost. my forum was installed using Softaculous only 3 months ago, it works and I am to afraid of getting it all wrong.

So no I will leave it for now.

(2011-11-29, 10:59 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not upgrading. I'm a newbie and what I have seen with the problems being posted after upgrading it has put me off.

I don't understand changing plugins, I have only just figured out how to install some. The technical people out there talk as if it's something I should know about, but I don't. and that is why I use plugins. I don't know or understand how they work so how can I change them.

There are some very talented people making the plugins and upgrades and I very much appreciate the work you all do. but we can't all just add a few characters of code, or modify core files and patches.

I can fix a leaking tap or change the oil in my car, but when it comes to changing the workings of my forum I am lost. my forum was installed using Softaculous only 3 months ago, it works and I am to afraid of getting it all wrong.

We all start off knowing not much, but it is by trying that we make progress. Maybe consider creating a test forum on a sub domain and playing with it.

With regard to the update, maybe reading my plugin up date how to here http://community.mybb.com/thread-108558.html will help you understand marginally what is going on.
(2011-11-29, 11:05 PM)david42 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-29, 10:59 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not upgrading. I'm a newbie and what I have seen with the problems being posted after upgrading it has put me off.

We all start off knowing not much, but it is by trying that we make progress. Maybe consider creating a test forum on a sub domain and playing with it.

With regard to the update, maybe reading my plugin up date how to here http://community.mybb.com/thread-108558.html will help you understand marginally what is going on.

Done that and cocked up my test forum. Angry

I think it's a mistake to not upgrade. While I have not yet upgraded I certainly plan to do so asap. I have however immediately patched all the security bugs.
You can consider creating a duplicate of your current forum and try upgrading locally.

(2011-11-29, 09:45 PM)RocketFoot Wrote: [ -> ]This makes me feel more confident in upgrading...especially what Paveman posted! But I am just a little scared to do it as I finally have my forum customized the way I want it and the way my members expect it to be. I can't afford to lose any functionality. It's not like I don't want or like new features...I just wish that major issues wouldn't arise with upgrades.

There is a script that pavemen posted that will do the upgrade automatically. Literally all you have to do is add things like "return $variable" and add an ampersand on a couple of functions Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3