MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Faster Ping to Search Engines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

One thing that I have noticed about myBB compared to other forum software is that it is taking an awful long time to get threads to appear in the search engines.

One of my competitors is using VB and it seems that whenever a topic is started on their Forums that the topic is posted on Google within 10 minutes.

On my site it takes several days for the topic to post on Google.

I am using the Google SEO mod for myBB and it is indeed set up properly.

I know that Wordpress has a few plugins that will send a ping to Google and articles are posted almost instantly.

Does myBB offer a plugin of this type? I know that Invision's IP.SEO has a ping feature that will automatically ping the search engines once a new post has been started which indexes the post much faster.

Is there anyway to get new posts to appear on Google a lot faster than several days?

Thanks in advance!
Adding a ping / resubmit feature to the Google SEO Sitemap is on my todo list somewhere. It has to be done with some care though since search engine might not like pinging too often or unnecessarily.

But even without pinging, the Sitemap should already help getting things indexed. It contains timestamps for each item so Google can easily tell what is new. Have you verified that Google is using your sitemap, using Google Webmaster Tools? Do you have a sitemap entry in your robots.txt?
WoW frostschutz! Thank you...

I just checked my Google Webmaster tools and I do not even have a Robot.txt installed on my server! I am hoping this will help out.. thanks again!
I am still seeing issues regarding this. It is taking several days to get topics indexed whereas my competition are getting their topics indexed almost instantly. They are using VB, PhpBB and another site is using VB and the one that is crushing me is xenforo

I am the only one using mybb out of the major competitors and it is taking forever to get topics indexed quickly through Google. This is crushing my ability to compete with them
This is a most common issue, to resolve this. Use facebook/twitter plugin to share your posts that will fasten indexing.
(2011-12-15, 03:34 PM)msafiq Wrote: [ -> ]This is a most common issue, to resolve this. Use facebook/twitter plugin to share your posts that will fasten indexing.

I have tried everything including the Twitter publisher... Posts are just taking forever to appear on Google....

There are 5 websites who my new site is competing against and they are either phpbb or vbulletin

All of them have posts displayed in Google that are under 1 hour ago posted AND all of them show the post count in Google

The last thing anything has showed up for my site in the SERPs is 3 days ago.

Now, here is the kicker....

Posts made here on the mybb forum are appearing almost instantly WITH post count.

What is mybb doing here to make this happen but it is not happening to their customers?

Inquiring minds want to know...

I don't even see mybb even using Sitemap

http://community.mybb.com/sitemap-index.xml

They are doing something completely different here ont he mybb forums than what we are doing. The posts here are showing up almost instantly in Google...

Thanks
We're not doing anything. We're a high traffic site, Alexa top ~6,000 or so, so Google knows there will always be fresh content. Matt Cutts posted a video on Youtube explaining that Google indexes sites faster if they have more authority. It's only something which can happen over time.