MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: convert private Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2011-12-02, 01:56 AM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]$75 and i'll make the script for you. You pay when the script is done (just in case i'm unable to do it), then you get it. All i need up front is the database export.

Hi Booher,

I am in the same boat as the thread starter, I would like to write some Perl scripts to do this. Since I did not write the Merge Code and the code has the overhead having to provide a UI and needing to be a generic app for many forum tyupes, I think it would take too long for my one off purposes.

I would happily send you a dump of a couple of lines from each of my tables if you'd like to prove a point to all of our benefits.., This could actually help get more private forum operators to convert to myBB!

(2011-12-02, 04:35 PM)dennisctb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-02, 01:56 AM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]$75 and i'll make the script for you. You pay when the script is done (just in case i'm unable to do it), then you get it. All i need up front is the database export.

Hi Booher,

I am in the same boat as the thread starter, I would like to write some Perl scripts to do this. Since I did not write the Merge Code and the code has the overhead having to provide a UI and needing to be a generic app for many forum tyupes, I think it would take too long for my one off purposes.

I would happily send you a dump of a couple of lines from each of my tables if you'd like to prove a point to all of our benefits.., This could actually help get more private forum operators to convert to myBB!

Actually the point here is that such "one shot" scripts are not worth it. the overhead of the merge system is very small. Only the needed modules are loaded. It also validates data and fills in defaults where needed as well. One off scripts provide none of that safety, so all it proves is that booher is reckless. Oh, and the merge system already handles all database connections for both forums, something that takes time and effort to code properly. Why re-invent the wheel?
Ok Booher and Dylan can you look at my attached tables and let me know what you think in terms of time and effort and or recommendations. Each table has 3 rows of sample data.

This is the most recent version of mySQL.
Dennis, I can do a merge module for that easy enough. It'd need to wait until the start of next week because I have plans with my family this weekend. Probably Tuesday or early Wednesday I could have it finished.

For just writing the merge system modules based on your sample data I would charge $60.
For writing it and setting up MyBB on your server or a server of your choice, and performing the conversion for you I would charge $100; if you set the MyBB forum up yourself $90.

Now, I do recommend you find yourself a theme or have a theme made before you convert. Unless you can theme yourself. Then I recommend installing a copy of MyBB for the sole purpose of creating a theme for it.

Edit: I can recommend a couple very good theme artists, but none of them are exactly cheap. Between $120 and $150 for custom themes. But they all do high quality work with custom graphics. Which as anyone who has any knowledge about it at all knows take time and effort.
You can see some of my previous custom work here:
http://www.skincitydesigns.com/

I wrote the WowBB, WowClassic, and UltraBB modules for the owner of this site. I charged her a total of $150 for the three combined, which is only so cheap for three of them because WowClassic and UltraBB are both based on WowBB and so a lot of the code was reused. You can contact her here on the MyBB board as Goggalor for a recommendation if you want.
I am still thinking about the best thing to do and have asked some of my forum members what they think of myBB and phpBB and vBulletin as compared to my custom forum software.

If any myBB experts could take a look at my custom forum and tell what are the compelling things that myBB has that my forum does not have, that would be a great help in my make versus use package decision. My site is at Tractorpoint.com

Tractorpoint Forum

Well...
  • Built in plugin system with thousands of plugins. Some free, some paid. Does not require core file edits, except in some very extreme circumstances.
  • Built in theme editing right from your ACP. No editing files by hand.
  • Well designed tools for moderation and administration.
  • Frequent releases with bugfixes and new features.
  • One of the best security records of all free forum softwares.

Probably more, but I'm kinda in a hurry right now.
Pages: 1 2