MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I am about to upgrade and I am following a tutorial. It's telling me to install the newest MyBB and replace it with everything on my current server at the moment.

Im not to confident about this, All my edited php files and stuff with get removed and replaced.

Am I doing the upgrade properly?
Hmm. I inserted the "Install" directory into my forum and i had ran the /install/upgrade.php file, and its worked?

Why was it telling me to insert all of the mybb files?

Have i done it right?
You need to upload the MyBB package, at minimum the changed files package.

The upgrade script on it's own will do nothing useful. You need the latest files too.
just upload this
https://github.com/downloads/mybb/mybb16...dfiles.zip
and run the install/upgrade.php
So I would lose all the files I have edited? Cant I back them up then after the upgrade is complet i replace them?

Could you send me the link to the changed files package please.
(2011-12-01, 08:23 PM)S.T.A.R Wrote: [ -> ]So I would lose all the files I have edited? Cant I back them up then after the upgrade is complet i replace them?

The changes you made to the old files from your ACP are stored in the database. Just backup your forum's database and download your themes folder before continuing. This way you can just re-upload the folder if it gets removed during the process and once you re-load the database file everything will be as it was.
Ah I understand now, Thanks.

I read that I had to install the whole of MyBB again thats what confused me.

Thanks
(2011-12-01, 08:29 PM)reichmany Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-01, 08:23 PM)S.T.A.R Wrote: [ -> ]So I would lose all the files I have edited? Cant I back them up then after the upgrade is complet i replace them?

The changes you made to the old files from your ACP are stored in the database. Just backup your forum's database and download your themes folder before continuing. This way you can just re-upload the folder if it gets removed during the process and once you re-load the database file everything will be as it was.

this is misleading. only if he is using the Patches plugin, are file edits stored in the database, and then only the edits made via Patches.

If someone has a lot of file edits then I would suggest that that person downloads their current files and runs a DIFF against the default files of the same version. take note of the changes.

Then download the lastest MyBB and apply the changes before uploading, or upload and apply via Patches which will store the changes for next time.

If you are only concerned about themes, unless you modified the default theme records in the database directly, an upgrade will not impact your current themes/templates
Yes, the default files edited would be replaced when uploading a fresh copy. That is why I always note and write down the custom changes that I make every time as a reference and then make quick edits after upgrades.
I tried the update and it wiped out the Apart Flame theme.
Pages: 1 2