MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is Mybb falling ahead?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well i was browsing the phpbb forums and there was some discussion about phpbb falling behind other software (http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic...&t=2143698) mainly vb... I through my two cents in under lawofthesnake to point out that they were falling behind to paid software as well.

Lawofthesnake Wrote:Well I'd just like to throw my two cents in here...

I used to love phpbb in fact its the first board I started out with and how I learned some coding skills but phpbb3 has fallen behind the times and if you look at other free forum software out there you'd clearly be able to see this. I have converted all my boards from phpbb3 to mybb as its much easier to use (and even if their community isn't that great and their support is no where as good as yours).

The primary reason that people use phpbb is because of the great community you have here and your size but I'd have to agree that phpbb has fallen way behind the times. Mybb can get releases out in a decent amount of time compared to phpbb and they are even speeding up that process. Based on the current track Id say mybb 2.0 and phpbb 3.1 will be released at the same time while phpbb 3.1 doesnt even seem to compare to the features that are in the mybb 1.6 line.

People want ajax to speed up the forums, the ability to turn off redirection pages without a mod, easily install mods/plugins without having to worry about those things breaking the theme or having to do manual code editing. Phpbb has a lot of work to do to catch up with free software out there... not just paid. I have a community of about 500 active users and out of those only about 10% wanted to go back to phpbb when we made the switch to mybb. When the users of a forum prefer a diffrent software than phpbb even though I basically ported the same style to mybb that says something. Mybb isnt that popular but its so much easier to use and my users like it so much more.

Lawofthesnake Wrote:True most of my users are unaware that we are now powered by mybb but this was a decision done after a two month beta process between smf and mybb (by the way phpbb>smf in my opinion). I didn't have an offical poll or anything, and was mainly a decision by the legacy users. Its the ease of use... the one thing users perfer more is the user cp...

If phpbb wants to compete check out the other free forum software out there and adapt it to phpbb... I mean this software has great potetional but not on its current slow course of development as the OP stated.

I did lose some users when we did the switch because they liked the old software more but that was a very tiny minority.

And mybb does include those annoying redirect pages and are enabled by default. You have to go to the admin cp and turn it off.

And heres my list of what my users perfer in the default mybb install:
  • The advanced bb code editor
  • Instant posting/editing without having to reload the page via ajax
  • Easier UCP
  • Better looking profiles
  • Simpler/faster mod tools

What my admins like:
  • Simple permissions system. We all know phpbb3 went overkill on the premissions
  • Simple plugins system (you have to admit easy mod has nothing on smf or mybb or vb + it doesnt work half the time)
  • Simpler update system/template install system.

What my users miss from phpbb:
  • Active topics - there is no mod for mybb for this instead were stuck with view todays posts/new posts. Very annoying if you want to find something from 3 days ago you read.
  • The threaded pm view system (mybb has quotes as their system!) I think even phpbb2 did a better job than mybb does but we dont use pms too much.
  • Better security/requirments for plugins - mybb doesnt really look at plugins sumbitted to their db like phpbb does and many more holes have been found in 1.6 than phpbb3

Go install mybb, smf, xferno, phpbb and compare them all. You'll see every software has pros and cons but it the end at least for me mybb was my choice.

So where do you think phpbb will be when mybb 2.0 is released?
Your thread title really confused me, is it meant to be "Is phpbb falling behind?"
I think unless phpBB makes some serious changes and improvements they're going to remain behind. I've never liked phpBB, the admin CP is confusing and redundant at first, and things just aren't as good as MyBB.
in the corner in the fetal position
Honestly for phpbb to catch up I would say they probably need to do a whole rewrite again with mods and usability in mind. Which would just take to long.
I hope phpBB 4 comes with something more innovative, I never liked phpBB and what got me into MyBB is the way it looks and feels..

phpBB "can" actually fall behind if their team don't change their strategy.

I know many of you won't agree with me, but I think that vB 3.6.6/7/8 was the most amazing forum software, vB 4 kinda sux, I'm glad MyBB 1.6 looks very similar to it..
I have a feeling 2012 will be MyBB's year.
(2011-12-07, 12:40 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]I have a feeling 2012 will be MyBB's year.

[Image: yearofmybb.png]
Falling ahead lol.

MyBB 2.0 will be epic, and MyBB is and has been the best free board for a long time now. This "news" that phpbb sucks has also been known for ages lmao.
Maybe we should slow down on the development to allow phpbb/smf to catch up?
Pages: 1 2 3 4