MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to hide thread and post counts for private subforums?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

My problem is in reference to my forum at http://www.marriedandhappy.com/Forum/index.php

Subforums that visitors or members have permission to view show the thread / post count on the main display page.

Subforums that visitors or members do not have permission to view show a '-' instead of thread / post count.

This is good...this is what I want.

Now here is the problem...

Today, I have added a new subforum and it is showing the thread and post counts to everybody...even if they do not have permission to view the subforum.

So, how do I hide the thread / post counts from everybody who does not have access permission to this new forum?

I can't seem to locate an option anywhere...but I know it's possible because all of my other subforums are operating properly.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.
They already are hidden. Log out and take a look.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your speedy response.

However, there is still something strange going on...

I am using two Firefox tabs...my admin control panel in one and my forum in the other...

So, I start by granting access permission for all of my private subforums in admin...both my old ones and my new one.

Then I jump over to the forum, click refresh...and the counts show up correctly for both the old and new forums.

Now, I jump back over to admin...deny access to all of my private forums...both the old ones and the new one.

Jump Back to the forum tab...click refresh...and all the the thread / post columns show '-' ... except for my new one...it STILL shows count numbers...even though I cannot access the subforum.

Now, if I log out of the forum, then the main index page shows the '-' properly for all forums...both old and new.

But, when I log back in to the forum...without changing anything...without changing any permissions...meaning my userid does not have access permission to any of my private subforums because I turned it off in a previous step...and the count numbers still show for the new subforum.

None of my old forums behave this way...just the new one. With my old forums, I can turn access permissions on and I see numbers...I can turn access permissions off and I see '-'.

But for my new forum, it shows numbers no matter what unless you are completely logged out.

My strong preference is that my new subforum work the same way as my old subforums so that users who have access to certain forums cannot see what kind of activity is happening in the other forums that they do not have access to.

Thanks for your time and attention to this.
I still have the problem described above...but to describe it in different words...

Let's suppose I have a sub-forum called "PrivateSubForum". Moreover, let's suppose I have a group called "PrivateGroup". And, let's suppose I have configured permissions such that only members of "PrivateGroup" can view or post in "PrivateSubForum".

How do I configure MyBB so that the "Threads" and "Posts" columns for "PrivateSubForum" shows a '-' to everybody except those who are members of "PrivateGroup"?

If a registered user is a member of "PrivateGroup", then I want them to see the Thread and Post counts for "PrivateSubForum".

If a registered users is NOT a member of "PrivateGroup", then I do NOT want them to see Thread or Post counts for "PrivateSubForum".

I know that somehow, somewhere, there IS a way to do what I am wanting to do because all of my "private" sub-forums and groups work exactly the way I am describing EXCEPT one of them.

Also, as was pointed out in Paul H's post above, if I log completely out of my forum, then the Thread and Count columns show the '-' for all private sub-forums. But, if I log in as a registered user who has NO access to any of the private forums...the one odd-ball private forum will show Thread and Post counts...even though when I try to click into the private forum, it correctly tells me that I do not have permission to access it.

I would really appreciate an answer to this question. Thank you.