MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Faceboook related plugins may stop working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you are using a Facebook related plugin that requires permissions/authentication it may stop working next week.

Facebook has changed it's requirements so that any return/canvas URLs have to use HTTPS. This may be an issue for shared hosting users since the SSL certificate is usually assigned to the providers domain and thus your MyBB cookies will not keep you logged in on the return pages.

Dedicated and VPS sites can create SSL certificates for their main domains so it may not be as much of an issue, but I think that cookies may still be a problem. I know that all links in MyBB will point to non-SSL pages for most of us, so it will take some string replacements to get the links correct in the FB code

For example, MyBBPublisher users that are already setup should continue to work, but the existing setup procedures I use will not work for new or modified configs since they require ACP access to work, and since you can not access the ACP from a shared hosting SSL domain, you won't be able to config your plugin for FB.

FBConnect and similar plugins will also suffer the same fate, but for new user sign ups. Since the plugin tries to contact FB at login/registration time for new users or those trying to link their account to FB, it requires an HTTPS return URL. Again cookie issues will have you logged out of MyBB when you return to the site.