MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: When is a spammer NOT a spammer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone having real spammers sign up for your forum and then actually post on topic and participate?

I don't know what to do!

I know they are spammers because they all have the same registration format (such as location and type of vehicle...I run a car forum) Email addresses are all gmail and they all use broken english. They don't seem to post any links, PM's or any usual spam type behaviors...just slightly weird on topic posts!

To explain further, my forum is a niche forum covering 1971-1973 Mustangs, so the members registration details are easy to predict! When 10 people register with vehicle type: HONDA...it's kind of obvious!
they are building trust and also trying to get a high enough post count to circumvent most no sig/no profile limits based on post count. be happy with the new posts and traffic. then noce they spam, deal with it then
Find the pattern and ban them.
Yeah, I guess it is good traffic until they decide to spam! Then I'll just ban them back to Commodore 64! LOL
That's just the new spam fashion Big Grin
There are smarter spammers these days, they will post on topic posts and re-visit a week or two later when the thread is buried and edit links into their posts.
(2011-12-10, 04:21 PM)SHX Wrote: [ -> ]There are smarter spammers these days, they will post on topic posts and re-visit a week or two later when the thread is buried and edit links into their posts.

this is why you set a 30-60 minute edit limit on your posts for regular users
Edit this user via Mod CP > Moderate this users' posts