MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB database's Quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Quote:Those who've invented and/or those who've approved these theories are engineers too..

But this not about theory. It's about practical application. Those who Invented the theories didn't write MyBB and they have not applied their theory to the script. It's only you considering how a theory would apply.

No one is saying the Normalization forms are bad. Just that for what MyBB currently is that it's impractical. Same goes for converting MyBB to a tableless design. It's just not going to work without huge work only to save some minimal code and update to the most current standards.

If for 2.0 the dev teams considers Normalization important then that's why they will pursue. But reviewing the theories and concepts I think the higher the level the less practical it is for this particular application.
(2011-12-19, 08:37 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Who can say? It's gonna be a huge rewrite. I'm really starting to loathe the uncertainly of the future of MyBB with that fact. MyBB is taking a huge risk imho with it. Using some framework no one is familiar with and changing all the standards. Every theme and plugin will break. Upgrades even if simple will only be so for those with no plugins and those willing to redo their theme.

And hey...thanks for arguing this out. Glad you didn't call it quits.

I agree with you, I'm a bit afraid of the future of MyBB, I've tried to use Yii framework but it looks terrible, I honestly don't like frameworks, most of them contain many bugs...
(2011-12-19, 09:12 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]You're cleverer than those who created databases and normalization structures, I got it, thank you!

please be patient Smile

nobody says that you are wrong. nor theory developers are wrong.

Database normalization is a kind of Occam's razor. And we should apply that razor not only to database fields, but to effort required too.

(2011-12-19, 09:43 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-19, 08:37 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Who can say? It's gonna be a huge rewrite. I'm really starting to loathe the uncertainly of the future of MyBB with that fact. MyBB is taking a huge risk imho with it. Using some framework no one is familiar with and changing all the standards. Every theme and plugin will break. Upgrades even if simple will only be so for those with no plugins and those willing to redo their theme.

And hey...thanks for arguing this out. Glad you didn't call it quits.

I agree with you, I'm a bit afraid of the future of MyBB, I've tried to use Yii framework but it looks terrible, I honestly don't like frameworks, most of them contain many bugs...

I can't say any framework excites me that much. But if MyBB uses one then our fate is then tied to another project. One that if it fails then MyBB fails. If it gets updated then MyBB has to update. Not optimal but I'm trusting that the MyBB dev team knows what they are doing. I'm just skeptical on the move. It's going to alienate a lot of current developers imho who may be forced to relearn coding methods and figure out a 3rd party software. Scary.
(2011-12-19, 08:08 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]- This is not something related to normal forums, but in the tasks table, there are many attributes than can be collapsed minute, hour, day month, weekday, can all be a DATETIME attribute that is more flexible and easily manageable

Actually, those are rules for when the task should run (eg. every hour of every day at 5:35am) and do not represent an exact instance.
labrocca Wrote:Who can say? It's gonna be a huge rewrite. I'm really starting to loathe the uncertainly of the future of MyBB with that fact. MyBB is taking a huge risk imho with it. Using some framework no one is familiar with and changing all the standards. Every theme and plugin will break. Upgrades even if simple will only be so for those with no plugins and those willing to redo their theme.

Yii is a very nice framework, I've worked with it on two different projects (one for a client and one for myself) and all I can say is that it's very well written - at least in my opinion. The MVC architecture is something people need to get used to since it makes the project more organized for everyone to read, including the developers - especially if working in teams.

2.0 is still in planning stages but once I'm done with the Mods Site (most likely this week, at least that's what I'm aiming for - note that this doesn't mean it will be up and running this week) I'll help the other developers planning it so we can start working on it together as soon as possible.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5