MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Don't Make It Rely On jQuery!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm new to mybb but I'm liking what I see so far.

What I would like to see is a forum that isn't completely reliant on a specific js library. The issue I have with Vanilla is that it requires jQuery, without it the forum will not work; this is why I've came over to mybb. I'm a veteran of SMF for many years cos it is not reliant on a library but it's not so friendly when coming to integration.

Now I'm fine with those who like jQuery but in my opinion as a web developer is that a platform should be able to function without a specific library. I'm a mootools developer and I know less people use it but you do not need JS to send data to a database.

Please allow us developers to choose to strip out jQuery without TOO much hard work. I understand that it will be your choice library but for us who dislike it, I think we should still get the use of a great PHP powered application without being forced to use a particular library.

I've stripped out all the JS in 1.65 without much hassle, I'm happy not to have thread ratings etc and just want a basic forum without the need for ajax functions. Please consider not making the new version completely reliant on jQuery and allow it to still function in some form with out it.

Cheers!
while i can't speak for the developers, they are pretty proud of the fact that MyBB falls back top base behavior really well without JS, so I'd like to think that they will strive to maintain that.