MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help, People keep signing up to my site using my username?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I dont know how but some people keep signing up to my site using the same username as me.

Please help as i dont understand how there doing it?

Special character maybe?

thanks
Could you provide us with a link and your original username?
i dont see how a link or my original username would help....

Basically what happens is that somebody signs up to my site using the exact same username as me then starts talking to me, its on the username that is the same the group image, title and everything else is different but the username is exactly the same.
I think it is some kind of XSS hack
My guess is there could be some unescaped whitespaces, but I need a URL and the username so I can see for myself.
Ive checked and there was none, i copied the username exactly and pasted it into notepad, i found no whitespaces at the begining or end.

It has to be some sort of mybb xss issue as it was happening to me in 1.6.4 also.

Unless there is some sort if special character that doesnt show up at all.
Well, since for some reason you are unable to provide the link and the username, I can only make assumptions.

So I'd follow these steps:

If you have access to your SQL Management System (such as phpMyAdmin) see how the username is stored in the database. Also I hope you've checked by viewing page source also.

Have you installed some plugins that have to do with the registration? Such as Fb Connect that has a known security bug?

Third, I would probably reinstall a fresh copy of the files, disable the plugins until I'll be researching them for known issues and deleting that certain user.