MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: unknown ISP address?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you look in who's online and click on the ISP and this comes up: No hostname could be found for the IP you entered.

What can that mean? Usually there is a site associated. This guest has tried to view profiles, send emails, reply to threads, and is now going through all the posts it seems. I can usually tell where they are, but with no hostname, I just wanted to make sure that this isn't a potential hacker. Is it normal not to have a hostname or is this guy cloaked or something???

Just wondering if I should ban the ISP or just leave it alone.
I've seen a few of these myself.

Usually I've left them alone and nothing happens.

So do whatever you feel is nessicary I guess. Toungue
try pinging there ip address and see if you get a responce, if yes then it is a real ip and if no then it is not a real ip
I wouldn't know how to ping their IP address. Used to do that in the Navy, but that was over 10 years ago! LOL
lol, if your using windows then open command promt and type ping IpAddressHere , then hit enter and your set!
Converting an IP address to a hostname uses something called Reverse DNS.

Not all ISPs and IP addresses have reverse DNS records set up for them, which is why MyBB (or anything else) cannot convert them to a host name.
Thanks for the info, Chris! Big Grin

And I'll be sure to try that ping the next time I'm concerned, Nekng! Thanks!
nekng Wrote:try pinging there ip address and see if you get a responce, if yes then it is a real ip and if no then it is not a real ip

Ping sends a request to the echo port ( 7 ) which some companies block to avoid the ping of death (a DoS).

On *nix, I use host and whois