MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How much DB and harddisk space
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am trying to estimate how much space needed for mysql and for the uploads folder in MyBB. I will be hosting this forum in the intranet and need to allocate harddisk space for the installation and future.

Thus, will like to find out from the community your experience, how much space used after 1-2 years and for how many users.

Or any advice for forum with about 1000 users. Right now the attachment size using the default.. i.e. 1MB for .doc, 2MB for .pdf file.

Lastly, it is possible to "span" the uploads folder across drives? eg currently use D drive but "add-on" new disk (eg E drive) so that the uploads folder can expand?

Thanks! Smile
You won't be consuming 1gig of space for the first year if it's a startup forum that's for sure. Just go with a host where you can upgrade plans when you need them.
No host. Will be hosted in-house and therefore need to plan and allocate enough and plan how to expand the size if necessary. If space enough then no need expand. Expand not easy...
At your home? Why? Going with hosting providers nowadays will be much more cheaper for you than hosting it in your house.

If you know what you're doing then you shouldn't be asking here anyway.

edit: I noticed from your previous posts that you are in a company. If that's the case then about 1gig of disk space would be enough for starters.
Sorry I meant hosting in company (inhouse).

I know how to install on local pc but not sure about servers, disk space etc. This is first time doing/planning so I'm not sure how to go about. Really appreciate any advice. Thanks.
1GB should be enough for the first year, but be aware, it might grow past the 20GB mark, maybe less, maybe more, no one can tell actually. It all depends on how much posts/user/topics/attachments you have. As for splitting the attachments to other hard drives, it might be possible, if you set up a virtual host to it, and use the virtual host for attachments.
Yes i agree hard to predict. Did some calculations just now, if each user upload a 1MB file every week then definitely more than 40GB for 1000 users in the first year.

But typically not many users will upload so actively? What's the common practice? Restrict users from uploading/set quota? Is 30MB per year too little or too much? Can I say restrict upload/set a limit of some users while others have more quota?

Also, how to increase hard disk? Can just buy disk and plug in?