MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How much Ram you use on average?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2011-12-14, 10:44 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-14, 10:33 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]On average approx 5-6 GB's on this machine (Dear god I love it.) 32gb on this machine, because it's a server that runs desktops as virtual machines.

Oh you have a LGA2011 machine?

I'm waiting for the Intel 8-Core processors and DDR4 Memory before I put together another one.

Nope. It's just a server.
Usually 800mb with Windows Live Messenger, teamviewer (mostly when I need to do something on my computer while away, like uploading a file to Google Docs to send to someone, etc), and Firefox 9 Beta on Windows XP SP3.

If I start playing Minecraft, it spikes to about 1.3-1.4gb, but that's because Java is set to take up to 768mb (Which is usually used when playing).

I usually use about 1.2-1.4gb when I do coding (Dreamweaver CS5 plus XAMPP).
(2011-12-14, 11:54 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Nope. It's just a server.

Oh you literally have one of those Enterprise servers? RICH!
~760mbs on idle and about ~1.6GB when active using Windows 7
(2011-12-15, 02:31 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]

Not really. What my dad did is quite simple. Bought an old(ish) server, install ESXi, and then make terminal machines. If you have decent wiring (Cat5e - Cat 6, with at least a 1gb internal network) You can run things flawlessly with no or little lag.
(2011-12-15, 03:42 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]

Not really. What my dad did is quite simple. Bought an old(ish) server, install ESXi, and then make terminal machines. If you have decent wiring (Cat5e - Cat 6, with at least a 1gb internal network) You can run things flawlessly with no or little lag.

something like a cluster supercomputer?
(2011-12-15, 05:39 AM)akito tenkawa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-15, 03:42 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]

something like a cluster supercomputer?

It's a virtual machine really. Basically it cuts down on price. As this is the only machine with a video card. You can have random crap, and as long as the network card is decent, you have a decent machine.
(2011-12-15, 03:42 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Not really. What my dad did is quite simple. Bought an old(ish) server, install ESXi, and then make terminal machines. If you have decent wiring (Cat5e - Cat 6, with at least a 1gb internal network) You can run things flawlessly with no or little lag.

That's not what I'm confused about, I'm wondering what hardware it is.

So it is an Enterprise Server hardware like this right?
http://www.smithsdetection.com/images/fi...Server.jpg

Of course yours being an older model, might differ.

Since the LGA1366 motherboards right now doesn't support up to 32GB of RAM, it maxes out at 24GB, 6 slots at 4GB each.

Then the LGA1155 are of course just 4 slots, so it maxes out at 16GB.

The new LGA2011 motherboard line can run up to 32GB, but you already declined it being LGA2011.

So that only leaves enterprise server hardware, a new one costs in the thousands range!
(2011-12-15, 08:13 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-15, 03:42 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Not really. What my dad did is quite simple. Bought an old(ish) server, install ESXi, and then make terminal machines. If you have decent wiring (Cat5e - Cat 6, with at least a 1gb internal network) You can run things flawlessly with no or little lag.

That's not what I'm confused about, I'm wondering what hardware it is.

So it is an Enterprise Server hardware like this right?
http://www.smithsdetection.com/images/fi...Server.jpg

Of course yours being an older model, might differ.

Since the LGA1366 motherboards right now doesn't support up to 32GB of RAM, it maxes out at 24GB, 6 slots at 4GB each.

Then the LGA1155 are of course just 4 slots, so it maxes out at 16GB.

The new LGA2011 motherboard line can run up to 32GB, but you already declined it being LGA2011.

So that only leaves enterprise server hardware, a new one costs in the thousands range!

I see where you got confused, when you said enterprise, I though of windows, for some odd reason, then is replied incorrectly. You can get servers fairly cheap actually. Ebay you can get 775 ear ones for pennies (From about a hundred to ~700 with HDD's and ram) He had a client who updated his rack, and bought his old one.

Servers are really enterprise much to me, I've been around them for the longest time :p
(2011-12-15, 07:16 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]I see where you got confused, when you said enterprise, I though of windows, for some odd reason, then is replied incorrectly. You can get servers fairly cheap actually. Ebay you can get 775 ear ones for pennies (From about a hundred to ~700 with HDD's and ram) He had a client who updated his rack, and bought his old one.

Servers are really enterprise much to me, I've been around them for the longest time :p

Heh, I work in I.T so I've been around them for years as well.
I just haven't known any company to sell them, the ones I worked for kept them for test usage, I'm not sure if I'd even want one to be completely honest, it's such a space hog.

I rather have a normal tower.
But I do want that 32GB of RAM, I'm putting together an 8-Core Intel Processor (when that's out) with a GTX 600 series card (Most likely 690), with 480GB SSD PCI-E, and of course max out with 32GB of RAM on (assuming it's LGA2011) the LGA2011 Socket Motherboard.

This will be a beast!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5