MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spambot explosion?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just saw this when coming to my own forum.
It seems they have overcome Captcha,Stop forum spam and Security question mechanisms.
Is there something I could do ? This is an overwhelming attack and mybb doesn't even have something like "ban+purge all posts" buttons for spam users Sad((

Little update: one of them has posted 143 SPAM POSTS, another one 463 .. This is massive ... never seen that before.

We're lucky to have the "check all" moderation check buttons to delete this crap..
Are you sure your question aren't easy for bots?

A bot can easily solve "What's 3+4?", or "What's 0 x 0"?

The "Registration security question" plugin works flawlessly against spambots, if all the techniques you've mentionned don't help stopping them, then maybe someone behind is targeting your specific forum and whenever you add a security question for example, he will tell the bots what the answer is...
I had stuff like
"What is smaller ? Moon, elephant or mouse"
"Sun = hot, moon = ?"
"What is VI plus 4 ?"

Unfortunately, the security qquestion plugin doesn't log what user got what question, that would be a good hint for what questions are strong or weak.
(2011-12-15, 01:39 AM)TStarGermany Wrote: [ -> ]I had stuff like
"What is smaller ? Moon, elephant or mouse"
"Sun = hot, moon = ?"
"What is VI plus 4 ?"

Unfortunately, the security qquestion plugin doesn't log what user got what question, that would be a good hint for what questions are strong or weak.

I think the questions you've mentionned are strong enough, maybe even very strong, if those questions are being answered correctly ( = new spammers registering ), than maybe someone is targeting your website with spam... You can always do an "Administrator's activation" thing, and activate all the users 2 hours after they register, most of spambots log out directly if they can't spam...
Activating users manually ? Ouf, that's not practical .. or can it be be automated?