MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Builders opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Currently I'm thinking of making a MATX or MITX machine. But it's my first of this size. There are a few mobo's I'd like to play with, but the prebuilds at Newegg are tempting at their prices.

Basically I need a silent small machine for recording.

Currently I'm looking at these two prebuilts. But I'd love to make my own.

Prebuilts;
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6856101121
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6856119051
I've seriously been looking at the Foxconn (if not that specific one, then one very similar), since with a SSD and 4GB DDR3 it's a computer with IIRC no moving parts uses less power than some lightbulbs, has built in HDMI & WiFi, and cheap to boot (~$350 depending on the parts). If you don't go SSD for space and longevity, you can still find 1TB+ HDDs that fit in it for a similar price.

The downside is WYSIWYG, it doesn't have much, if any, expandability. You're stuck with the 1.8GHz dual-core Atom, and from what I can tell the only expandable things are the RAM and the single HDD, both of which you have to buy anyway. This may be enough for okay video stuff, and IIRC it has an alright graphics chip, but you're stuck with it.
Well it's audio mostly. My issue is now I've decided I want it to be an Hackintosh. :/ I fear few around here will be able to help with that.
(2011-12-16, 03:21 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Well it's audio mostly. My issue is now I've decided I want it to be an Hackintosh. :/ I fear few around here will be able to help with that.

Bad idea. Hackintosh is cool and all but keeping up with it is a mess and a half. When a new update comes out for OS X and if you take it then it will take you hours of installing custom kext's and edits to get it working again. It is also not just as simple as not taking the updates. Every day on hackintosh you face a problem you must fix, and it sucks. I highly discourage you from going in the hackintosh direction.
You expect me to update things?
(2011-12-16, 03:29 AM)Weboutfit Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-16, 03:21 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Well it's audio mostly. My issue is now I've decided I want it to be an Hackintosh. :/ I fear few around here will be able to help with that.

Bad idea. Hackintosh is cool and all but keeping up with it is a mess and a half. When a new update comes out for OS X and if you take it then it will take you hours of installing custom kext's and edits to get it working again. It is also not just as simple as not taking the updates. Every day on hackintosh you face a problem you must fix, and it sucks. I highly discourage you from going in the hackintosh direction.

Really? I've never had that problem. I used run a hackingtosh in a virtual machine (until i formatted my pc) and once it was setup i just left it alone and it worked fine Smile and that was on AMD Wink
Yes, hackintosh isn't going to work right out of the box. You are going to find a new problem every day that you will need to fix. Wether it be audio, video, etc. trust me, its annoying.
(2011-12-16, 12:23 PM)Weboutfit Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, hackintosh isn't going to work right out of the box. You are going to find a new problem every day that you will need to fix. Wether it be audio, video, etc. trust me, its annoying.

This isn't exactly true anymore. At least if you buy the right hardware (Intel Core 2 Duo CPU for example) so that its as close to the hardware inside of a Mac as possible Toungue

@Aristotle: IM me... I have a metric **** ton of Hackintosh info Toungue
Tbh it doesn't really matter with hardware anymore. Most processors (amd and intel) get kexts for them, and so does most other hardware. Although it is generally better to go for intel Smile any of the i3,i5,i7 range as well as core 2 duo are supported natively (on the most part) by OSX Smile
(2011-12-16, 01:59 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Tbh it doesn't really matter with hardware anymore. Most processors (amd and intel) get kexts for them, and so does most other hardware. Although it is generally better to go for intel Smile any of the i3,i5,i7 range as well as core 2 duo are supported natively (on the most part) by OSX Smile

Thats my point though. You avoid needing 3rd party kexts, and thus 3rd party kext updates, by choosing the natively supported hardware such as the Intel Core series of CPUs Toungue Thats what invalidates what Weboutfit said. I've recently built 2 Hackintosh for other people that required 0 3rd party kexts and work perfectly. I built them with Snow Leopard, and when Lion came out they were able to update perfectly.
Pages: 1 2