MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Non-Plugin based option for View Unread posts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I want to have a "View Unread Posts" link for my users to be able to click ,but i was wondering if there was a non-plugin based alternative?

I.e Can this be done via a simple template edit?

I was using one by a guy called Lukaz, but it didn't seem to like myBB 1.6.5

Thanks Angel
Hi Paul, that link is slightly different, that will give New Posts (i.e posts new since your last visit like we have here).

Unread posts are posts that you might have not read at all.
there is no way to track everyones unread posts without a massive hit to performance and DB size.
(2011-12-16, 07:49 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]there is no way to track everyones unread posts without a massive hit to performance and DB size.
What kind of performance hit/db size are we talking about here? I've seen phpbb forums frequently use this feature and really need it on my MyBB forum.
It is exponential depending on the size of the database. The larger the database, the more you'll notice it. Large forums also really need to have Innodb since that does row level locking instead of full table locks which matters when you are trying to search data.
Thanks for the response. I found the 'egosearch' plugin that Leefish developed which is exactly what I was looking for: http://community.mybb.com/thread-121156-...#pid874912

Perhaps this is a slightly different feature than the OP was requesting. The egosearch only returns unread posts in threads the user has posted in as opposed to all unread messages across the entire forum.