MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Request [How to make a template]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if someone could make a guide to making a template, so others can make them (generally me) although it may help others in the future.

Thanks

- Dan
well this isnt a full guide but a good couple of tips.

Depending on the amount of depth you want to put into your themes realy depends the difficulty, the way i make my themes and im sure the way many make there themes is creating images and replacing the others to form a theme, doing this you need ftp access which means you need a real host and not a free setup thing that some people provide (EG: invision free, createmybb etc)

A good way to start this is saving the files off the origional theme straight off the internet browser and opening it up in a image editing program to get the dimensions of the image to make, now the more effort you put into these images significantly determans the quality of the theme because the image is repeated along its place on the theme to form title backrounds for forums (thead_bg).

Personaly the best type of images i think are gradients because they form a good feel to them, but you can create anything aslong as they are able to be copied and placed neex to eachother and form the same images all the way along the 'thead' EG you would not make one side of the images one colour and the other side a different colour because once repeated it will just look like a patternet (unless thats what you want it to look like)

thead_bg is the main image that covours each forum category name on the index, the other under it is a colour that can be changed in Admin CP>Themes>Modify/Delete>(Theme) then scroll down to find "Table Sub Headers (Category Backgrounds)" to add a image to this colour area enter the code into the "Background" section of the above mentioned section

url(images/thead_bg_bot.gif) top left repeat-x

i names mine thead_bg_bot.gif, you can name it anything but you have to place the name of it in that code, so placing that code in the backround bit of the theme place mentioned will put the image you have uploaded (upload the image to your image folder via ftp)

my guide isnt as good as the one above Toungue