MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Whats Hosts Do you use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I pay $30/year for my webserver VPS (a KVM VPS with 128mb RAM, 15gb disk space and 500gb bandwidth) at Hostigation.
I use Vidahost Smile

Outstanding Support: http://www.vidahost.com
Dreamhost is one great place for shared hosting. Both Supportforums.net and MyBBCentral.com get served by them along with a couple dozen other small sites.

I find their custom interface refreshing and their options are fantastic. Having a custom solution that fits their clients needs imho is 10x better than any cpanel reseller host.

I've had some downtime but I'm fairly relaxed about the fact shared hosting has it's downsides. No such thing as 100% uptime in shared hosting imho. However even under heavy DDOS attacks they've never suspended my entire account. Only that one site goes offline and it's online fairly quickly. Their blog for status is great too for getting updates on network outages and problems.

Just overall I'm happy with them and have had the account for about 4-5 years now.

I also have a Servage.net account which is so-so. It's only $50 a year for me so I keep it active with a dozen smaller sites.

I've tried a few shared hosts. Most of them really suck. And never use a shared reseller host like 1/2 you guys are recommending. You're just asking for trouble using noobs for a host that will only take your trouble ticket and send it to their host. Just not worth it even for $1 a month hosting. Better to spend $8-12 a month and have someone reliable.
Agreed. Hawk Host are absolutely fantastic for me. Very cheap for good quality hosting. MF and WF are both hosted by it, and I've not seen any downtime yet at all. I don't know how they deal with your site if it's under attack, as I've not been under attack since moving there *touch wood*, but I thoroughly recommend it. Some other big sites are on there like forumpromotion too.
I use a company called vidahost, this site http://vidahost-discount-codes.co.uk helps with discount.
I used HostATree for a while but their performance started declining to the point where people were pointing out on here that my sites were offline randomly.

To be honest, it's cheaper to get a VPS than it is to get shared hosting and it's a lot more reliable and provides more security and options.
(2011-12-28, 08:10 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Dreamhost is one great place for shared hosting. Both Supportforums.net and MyBBCentral.com get served by them along with a couple dozen other small sites.

I find their custom interface refreshing and their options are fantastic. Having a custom solution that fits their clients needs imho is 10x better than any cpanel reseller host.

I've had some downtime but I'm fairly relaxed about the fact shared hosting has it's downsides. No such thing as 100% uptime in shared hosting imho. However even under heavy DDOS attacks they've never suspended my entire account. Only that one site goes offline and it's online fairly quickly. Their blog for status is great too for getting updates on network outages and problems.

Just overall I'm happy with them and have had the account for about 4-5 years now.

I also have a Servage.net account which is so-so. It's only $50 a year for me so I keep it active with a dozen smaller sites.

I've tried a few shared hosts. Most of them really suck. And never use a shared reseller host like 1/2 you guys are recommending. You're just asking for trouble using noobs for a host that will only take your trouble ticket and send it to their host. Just not worth it even for $1 a month hosting. Better to spend $8-12 a month and have someone reliable.

Totally agree with labrocca, shared hosting, no matter what they say is a bad idea. It's hard enough sometimes getting issues sorted without having to go through numerous people. Chances are, a shared host is just any tom grape and Harry, not saying they all are but they more than likely are.

A shared host in my opinion, is no better than a free host. If you have anything of any value I'd suggest using a half decent host. Labrocca mentions dreamhost ($8.99) per month. That is a fantastic package for someone with a fairly big forum. You've got everything you need there including reliability and support. It may be a few extra bucks but as they say "you get what you pay for".
(2011-12-23, 04:55 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-22, 02:22 AM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]Custom server. Nothing beats being able to take the box apart and reconfigure it yourself!

Only if you ISP allows it. Most won't allow it. (Costs my dad 50/M for a very basic DSL line that will do it)

Server's on my dad's DSL connection which he gets from Odynet, they allow servers. Toungue
(2011-12-29, 04:22 AM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-23, 04:55 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-22, 02:22 AM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]Custom server. Nothing beats being able to take the box apart and reconfigure it yourself!

Only if you ISP allows it. Most won't allow it. (Costs my dad 50/M for a very basic DSL line that will do it)

Server's on my dad's DSL connection which he gets from Odynet, they allow servers. Toungue

I wouldn't trust anyone whose website is that bad. 10 bucks says they resell out of a service that is like bell. (Which doesn't allow servers).

edit; After calling and researching their business plan. It actually makes more sense to use Bell business.
Sadly i use the common name Hostgator ..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5