MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mybb md5 problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey I need to know how to decrypt md5 hashes in mybb..
It is impossible to decrypt hashes. If you need to change your admin password because you forgot it, see here.

If you're trying to get a member's password, that's illegal.

Edit: #winning
You can't, that's why they call them hashes. Smile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5

Edit: Paul beat me to a response Toungue
(2011-12-18, 07:57 PM)Adrenaline Wrote: [ -> ]hey I need to know how to decrypt md5 hashes in mybb..

That would defeat the whole purpose of hashing...
Yes, as said above, it doesn't decrypt the hash, it rehashes the password you type in using your salt as well, and if that new hash matches the one that's stored in the database, it knows you entered the same password.
how to type the salt and the password to mean this? md5(md5($salt).md5($pass))
Why do you want to change the encrypting method?
i just want to decrypt that way
(2011-12-18, 09:23 PM)Adrenaline Wrote: [ -> ]i just want to decrypt that way

Ok! Please make the difference between hashing and encrypting...
When we talk about Encryption, we also talk about Decryption
But when we talk about HASHING, there's no such thing as "DE-HASHING" or getting what has been hashed...

And the expression (to decrypt a hash) is meaningless...

Hashing doesn't guarantee the integrity of the information (irreversible operation, example: you can create a hash of 128 bits from a 3MB file, but you can never get your 3MB file back from the hash), but it does (and should) guarantee the uniqueness of the hash created, which means you should never get 2 similar results using 2 different entries...

Encryption does guarantee the integrity, and that's why you can decrypt what's encrypted...

For your information, since 2009 (I guess), 2 japanese scientists showed that MD5 doesn't guarantee uniqueness...
(2011-12-18, 09:45 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]For your information, since 2009 (I guess), 2 japanese scientists showed that MD5 doesn't guarantee uniqueness...

In general, with all the hashing algorithms and functions we have today, which are generally set at a certain length (output length which can be shorter than the input length), you'll always have collisions. However, it depends how collision resistant each algorithm or function is. MD5, as it produces a 128-bit hash, is less collision resistant than, for example, SHA(2)-256 (obviously depending on the algorithm, but for simplicity, comparing lengths proves true).

All the best,
Imad Jomaa.