MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Do members tell you how to run your forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2011-12-20, 07:15 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]When you make a post the text editor sometimes lags here, but at the moment it seems fine, maybe it is due to the server problems here.

What do you mean by lag? You need to be more specific. Smile
My site is not a place for me, it's a place for other people. If my site isn't the way the people like it, then they'll leave so I think, at least in my case, you need to keep the people happy.

If some one has a suggestion on how to run the site, I tell them, go ahead, make a poll about it, if other people agree with you then I'll try and accommodate it.
(2011-12-20, 06:09 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]The worse ones are the ones that compare running a forum to running a country and think they deserve to be voted into power by the community. It's like the owner's time & money into building it means nothing.

Ain’t it the truth. You’d think they were paying the bills, not to mention all the other headaches that come with running a forum.

Some people assume that because they join they have a right to free speech. In my experience free speech can lead to chaos. Not on my forum. We have a mission and we stick to the program. People should understand that they have no rights on a forum, they have privileges, and they should act that way, like they’re grateful.
I agree, it's your site and they choose to use it, they have no 'rights' as such, they can just leave if they don't like it.
(2011-12-20, 09:44 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-20, 06:09 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]The worse ones are the ones that compare running a forum to running a country and think they deserve to be voted into power by the community. It's like the owner's time & money into building it means nothing.

Ain’t it the truth. You’d think they were paying the bills, not to mention all the other headaches that come with running a forum.

Some people assume that because they join they have a right to free speech. In my experience free speech can lead to chaos. Not on my forum. We have a mission and we stick to the program. People should understand that they have no rights on a forum, they have privileges, and they should act that way, like they’re grateful.
^That's what that former member of mine was trying to pull. Thought he should be able to boss other people around and claimed it was part of some free speech crap he came up with.
Then when I told him to stop he told me I was infringing upon his "rights" and that I was biased because he was Australian.
(2011-12-20, 09:48 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, it's your site and they choose to use it, they have no 'rights' as such, they can just leave if they don't like it.

Talking about just leaving and not coming back. Would you believe, I recently had a member ask me to delete his membership because my forum “wasn’t his cup of tea”. But it doesn’t end there, oh no, who do you think I see on my forum multiple times for days after that? The same guy who asked me to delete his membership, that’s who. What is it with some people anyway?

Don't forget to vote folks!
(2011-12-20, 09:37 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]My site is not a place for me, it's a place for other people. If my site isn't the way the people like it, then they'll leave so I think, at least in my case, you need to keep the people happy.

If some one has a suggestion on how to run the site, I tell them, go ahead, make a poll about it, if other people agree with you then I'll try and accommodate it.

This.

I see OP's attitude as all wrong. Shouldn't your goal be to please your members and not give them the "If you don't like it go away" treatment. That will only work on big boards. If I was on your site and you said that, I would just go away. Eventually you'd end up with a loyal user base of like 3 members. The only time it's okay to ignore them (my opinion) is when you, and the majority of your members feel your forum is absolutely perfect.

Do you think your forum is absolutely perfect OP?
(2011-12-20, 10:53 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think your forum is absolutely perfect OP?

This.

Also, you need to visit TAZ.
If suggestions are made respectfully and make sense I consider them, if not I don’t.

What does a perfect forum look like? Your idea of perfection might be different from mine.

Am I being trolled here?

Thanks for voting folks!
12/21/2011, 10:14AM
This is worth repeating: What’s popular isn’t always right and what’s right isn’t always popular.

Every forum owner has to decide who will run the show. If you want to turn it over to the members that’s your choice.

I believe my forum must have goals, which I set, and reflect what I stand for as a person, if it doesn’t then it’s a waste of time.
(2011-12-21, 02:32 AM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]If suggestions are made respectfully and make sense I consider them, if not I don’t.

What does a perfect forum look like? Your idea of perfection might be different from mine.

If 10 of your members complain (rudely or not) about a specific thing, let's say your theme, and you wanted to keep it the same, what would you do? Be honest.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5