MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SPAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What the hell is up with mybb? I have had to sit and delete over 200 friggin spam topics and over 100 spam posts on my community.

I do NOT want to upgrade/update my community to the new one. I have a lot of plugins that I know once I upgrade everything will be jacked up on my site.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. My community is pointless and worthless now because spam bots have killed my site.

Is there anything that I can do to stop this madness?

Thanks!
(2011-12-21, 08:43 AM)JunkeeSports Wrote: [ -> ]What the hell is up with mybb? I have had to sit and delete over 200 friggin spam topics and over 100 spam posts on my community.

It's not limited to MyBB. Every web application with user input is a target for spam.

(2011-12-21, 08:43 AM)JunkeeSports Wrote: [ -> ]I do NOT want to upgrade/update my community to the new one. I have a lot of plugins that I know once I upgrade everything will be jacked up on my site.

There are many threads about updating plugins, including a script that will automatically update them. If you want the anti spam features that MyBB 1.6.5 has, then upgrade.

(2011-12-21, 08:43 AM)JunkeeSports Wrote: [ -> ]This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. My community is pointless and worthless now because spam bots have killed my site.

Thanks!

It you would've looked below the General Support section, there is a whole forum dedicated to security and spam management.

(2011-12-21, 08:43 AM)JunkeeSports Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anything that I can do to stop this madness?

Yes, update it Smile

You can move software as much as you want, just like you can blame the software by your decisions.

Outdated software may be easiest to hack, so at some point you will be here because mybb doesn't stop hackers, when it actually try it's best in the new versions.

Just update, trow away any plugin that stop working (if you don't know/want to pay for them to be update).
(2011-12-21, 08:43 AM)JunkeeSports Wrote: [ -> ]What the hell is up with mybb? I have had to sit and delete over 200 friggin spam topics and over 100 spam posts on my community.
It happens on every forum software. Tighten up your registration methods.

(2011-12-21, 08:43 AM)JunkeeSports Wrote: [ -> ]I do NOT want to upgrade/update my community to the new one. I have a lot of plugins that I know once I upgrade everything will be jacked up on my site.

As Nathan said, there is a script for updating them, and if the script doesn't work, there is a very simple tutorial to fix them. Also, MyBB 1.6.5 contains many new spam prevention methods, including reCAPTCHA. It also fixes several minor bugs and vulnerabilities.

(2011-12-21, 08:43 AM)JunkeeSports Wrote: [ -> ]This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. My community is pointless and worthless now because spam bots have killed my site.

Thanks!

What Nathan said, there is a whole new forum dedicated to spam and secutiry management. See my new thread on the best anti-spam plugins: http://community.mybb.com/thread-110224.html
I closed down both of MyBB forums due to the fact that they have become a major target of XRumer spambots due to a lack of anti-spambot modules in the core package.

Even when I went to admin. member approval these low life's were still spamming forum user profiles.

So until a human question and answer module is installed and custom user profile fields where homepage and signature link field can be removed are created MyBB will suffer.
(2011-12-21, 03:40 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]I closed down both of MyBB forums due to the fact that they have become a major target of XRumer spambots due to a lack of anti-spambot modules in the core package.

Even when I went to admin. member approval these low life's were still spamming forum user profiles.

So until a human question and answer module is installed and custom user profile fields where homepage and signature link field can be removed are created MyBB will suffer.

if you're going to keep putting MyBB Down, then go somewhere else and find a better Forum Software. I love MyBB even if it does have a few bugs, And besides, MyBB Are probably working on the new MyBB 2.0 Which i can't wait for!
I'm not using any anti-spam plugins at the moment. Only the 1.6.5 built-in reCaptcha and hidden captcha. Not spam bots so far.
I am the type where if it is not broken then don't fix it... Meaning, my forum is running just fine with the older version installed.

I'm not knocking mybb... it is by far the best forum software on the market.... The only downfall is that the spam bots are out of control.

Every other forum software that I have used... Every time there is an update it breaks my mods and themes. I just don't feel like having to mess around with that stuff.
Well sometimes a bit of effort is required, I put a lot of effort into my forum, With theming and members. I just upgraded to MyBB 1.6.5 and yeah there was a hitch but i sorted it, It was a plugin called downloads manager.

I uninstalled it and it worked fine.
Pages: 1 2