MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: using which plugins is illegal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Adding plugins under copyright into mybb is legal?
Which kinde of license can't be gather with LGPL?
What?

If you take a paid plugin (like one pirata, labrocca, or someone else) without paying for it and install it, then it is illegal.

Maybe i didn't understand your question.
If you have permission to use the plugin (eg:you payed for it) you may use it fine Smile
If you honor the author's "terms of use" then AFAIK you may use any plugin you like.

@ Mods
I think this is a legitimate support question and might be moved to Plugins forum.
NO, My intention wasn't that you answered, Sorry for my bad writing!
I'm asking about LGPL(MyBB license)! Is there any conflict between LGPL and the other license for merging?
=>
MyBB(LGPL) + Plugins(under CopyRight) = Is legal?
Yes, the LGPL doesn't require work based of it to be opensource as well. Which is why MyBB chose it over the regular GPL(at least I think that's why).
The LGPL is different to the GPL -- the former allows linking with proprietary software, so as long as you actually paid for the plugins (if they're paid ones), you should be fine.

edit: alex you ninja you.
I'm glad all the GPLv3 VS LGPL discussions are over and MyBB made their decision. Since the license change I haven't seen a single thread complaint or problem concerning the issue. Which I think means the problem is solved for everyone. An OPEN SOURCE license should have little to no restrictions for it's end-users. I think that's the point. When you create a software and say it's free to everyone to do whatever then I believe it's hypocritical to then say...well it's free but you can't do X. I prefer BSD style licenses and LGPL is fine too.

But anyways...I believe you can read a bit here for some info on compatibility.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list...leLicenses