MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: URL Titles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Name: URL Titles
Version: 2.8
MyBB Version: 1.6.*

Description:
-Automatically replaces URLs without names in posts with the titles of the linked websites (if available)
-cURL has to be enabled on your server
-Max. length of titles can be set in the ACP
-Max. connection time to the linked site can be set in ACP
-Max. processed URL titles per post can be set in the ACP
-Max length of the requested data per link can be set in the ACP

Installation:
1. Upload the complete content of the Upload folder into your forum home directory
2. Go to your "AdminCP Configuration - Plugins" and click "Activate" behind URL Titles
3. All done.

Update:
1. Upload the complete content of the Upload folder into your forum home directory and overwrite the existing plugin files.
2. Go to your "AdminCP Configuration - Plugins", click "Deactivate" behind URL Titles and activate it again
3. All done.

Changelog:
v2.8
# Fix for unwanted display of titles in code blocks

v2.7
# Fix for displaying titles after quick edit without page reload

v2.6
# Fix for Tapatalk compatibility

v2.5
# Fix for cut messages caused by overly long UTF-8 sequences and UTF-16 surrogates in titles

v2.4
# Fix for preview of quoted posts

v2.3
# Fix for PM preview
# Validation for maximum message length added

v2.2
#"URL Titles live" setting removed completely in favor of performance
#Setting for max. number connection time added
#Setting for max. request length added
#Bugfix for websites without specified charset

v2.1
#Setting for max. number of replaced url titles per post added
#Bugfix for empty PM's and posts sent by other plugins

v2.0
#Bugfix for linked websites with corrupted html code
#Improved user agent string
#New setting in ACP
#Now there are 2 different methods for inserting URL titles to chose from:
1. everytime the post is viewed the titles are loaded (like before)
2. only once when the post is created/updated the titles will be inserted with the message into the database (default)
3. max. length of titles can be set

v1.1
#Improved character set recognition

License:

GPL

Download:

http://mods.mybb.com/view/url-titles

Github - URL Titles
URL Titles 2.1 available in mod section now

#Setting for max. number of replaced url titles per post added
#Bugfix for empty pm and posts messages sent by other plugins
wow, an awesome plugin Big Grin
when add link there is 403 forbiden link
Nicely written but I want to point out some things to those who want to use this.

1. It hooks into 16 places.
2. Curl timeout is 7 seconds. This means any page with a bad link or slow host will wait 7 seconds to fully load the page. This could be a real problem. I recommend it be lowered to 2-3 seconds. It's in a couple places in the plugin.

3. This plugin needs something to exempt groups. What you don't want is crawler bots like GoogleBot waiting for this plugin to load titles of links. While some might actually want bots to see titles for SEO purposes it might also be harmful.
4. This plugin will increase bandwidth as it grabs the entire page of the link. It does not limit the grab. So if the page with the link is a 5mb page your server will grab that entire page. It will be slower and it will be bandwidth. CURLOPT_RANGE should be used to speed things up and save bandwidth.
Thank for your feedback. Smile

(2012-06-25, 08:08 AM)lexy Wrote: [ -> ]when add link there is 403 forbiden link
Probably your server isn't allowed to access this site.

(2012-06-25, 08:39 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]2. Curl timeout is 7 seconds. This means any page with a bad link or slow host will wait 7 seconds to fully load the page. This could be a real problem. I recommend it be lowered to 2-3 seconds. It's in a couple places in the plugin.

I started with 3 seconds, now it's 7 because I get better results with it. But I agree it can be a problem if you have several links with slow hosts.
In later versions there will be a setting in the ACP for the timeout so that the admin can decide what's best for his forum.

(2012-06-25, 08:39 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]3. This plugin needs something to exempt groups. What you don't want is crawler bots like GoogleBot waiting for this plugin to load titles of links. While some might actually want bots to see titles for SEO purposes it might also be harmful.

I don't think group settings are necessary - as long as you don't have the "live url" option enabled in ACP (which is not recommended. The "live" function is a leftover from the very beginnings of this plugin and I'm going to remove it completely with the next update)
Usually bots don't have the permission to post, hence they don't have to wait for the titles to load.
Without the "live titles" option the plugin is only called once for every link when the post gets saved and the replaced title is inserted together with the message into the database. After that it doesn't matter who or how many are viewing the thread or post.

(2012-06-25, 08:39 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]4. This plugin will increase bandwidth as it grabs the entire page of the link. It does not limit the grab. So if the page with the link is a 5mb page your server will grab that entire page. It will be slower and it will be bandwidth. CURLOPT_RANGE should be used to speed things up and save bandwidth.

I agree with the bandwith problem and I've planned to do something about it for quite a while, but hadn't time to implement it yet. CURLOPT_RANGE sounds nice, but unfortunatly many servers just ignore it. I'm intending to use a more reliable solution for it like a write callback function with a setting in ACP for the maximum length of the requested data.

(I hope my answers make sense somehow since my last English lessons were at least 25 years ago Wink )
So does this grab the titles when you view the posts? Why not do it on post insert/update? IMO it would make more sense and you could create a task to update older posts.
(2012-09-18, 11:21 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]So does this grab the titles when you view the posts? Why not do it on post insert/update? IMO it would make more sense and you could create a task to update older posts.

In the first version it used to grab the titles when you view the posts, but I changed it completely with v. 2.x
Now it grabs the titles only once before the post gets saved and the title is inserted with the message into the database.
I've already thought about a task to update older posts.
Ah, glad to hear it. Are you still awaiting approval on the mods site? If so, I'll try get it approved before I go out.
Thanks and yes, it's still waiting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4