MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Connect to mod database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Kind of like what SMF has, I think mybb should be able to import mods from the mod site straight from the ACP. Mybb already has the easiest mod importing but it's just a side note
You can do it with a plugin right now.

I'm not sure whether it should be core or not, though.
Personally I'm against this going into core. Having to do things manually requires that the site Admin who is adding the plugin take some responsibility for it and know a bit more about it than a 1 click and boom its in approach. That, to me, is just asking to get your site hacked. You should be downloading and reviewing every single plugin that you're going to use.
Well, I would kind of like something like this. However, like Dylan said, it is a matter of forum security. Just like iTunes, or in the iOS App Store -- you can buy stuff instantly and put it on a credit card, but then you realize "Oh man! I spent $20 on the last week". Whereas, if, for example - you had to go out to a store and buy it, then you think about it twice.

Just like instantly installing mods - you would install without thinking, but if you have to go out and get them, you usually DO think again. I know I have downloaded and decided to not install a mod before.

Paul was mentioning MattRogowski's Plugin Uploader, by the way. You can get that mod here: http://mods.mybb.com/view/plugin-uploader
(2011-12-22, 06:59 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]You can do it with a plugin right now.

(2011-12-22, 08:10 PM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]Paul was mentioning MattRogowski's Plugin Uploader, by the way. You can get that mod here: http://mods.mybb.com/view/plugin-uploader

Yeah I wish I could integrate this feature into that plugin but it's not as simple as it seems. The way the Mods site downloads work means it's not that easy to get the download. I have no way of knowing what the filename of the zip is to just cURL it, you only get the download on the Mods site by submitting a form, and it then outputs the zip, but try as I might I just can't get a cURL POST request to return anything other than an empty sting. if I create a HTML form that submits the same info the Mods site submits that works but if I put that into PHP it does nothing. Otherwise, yeah I'd add the ability to import straight from the Mods site.
(2011-12-23, 09:22 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-22, 06:59 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]You can do it with a plugin right now.

(2011-12-22, 08:10 PM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]Paul was mentioning MattRogowski's Plugin Uploader, by the way. You can get that mod here: http://mods.mybb.com/view/plugin-uploader

Yeah I wish I could integrate this feature into that plugin but it's not as simple as it seems. The way the Mods site downloads work means it's not that easy to get the download. I have no way of knowing what the filename of the zip is to just cURL it, you only get the download on the Mods site by submitting a form, and it then outputs the zip, but try as I might I just can't get a cURL POST request to return anything other than an empty sting. if I create a HTML form that submits the same info the Mods site submits that works but if I put that into PHP it does nothing. Otherwise, yeah I'd add the ability to import straight from the Mods site.

Is there a chance it could work with the work-in-progress mods DB that Pirata is working on?
I'm not sure how Pirata's new site stores the zip files. I'll ask.
Personally, I think a good structure would be maybe striking out the static-looking URLs for download pages, and replace them with GET variables. Then, you can use the scandir() function to find the zip file that matches the GET variable, which could then be fed to the user.

Example:
URL with get variable: htxp://mods.mybb.com/mods/dl/download.php?plugin=some-plugin-name

Where some-plugin-name is the name of the plugin, separated by dashes.

Then scandir could search a directory for some-plugin-name.zip .

I learned about scandir from the phpacademy YouTube channel (great php resource... Maybe a little basic tutorials, but still good ones!)
The first part of the phpacademy scandir()-using series is below.

By no means am I saying that is the for-sure best way, because the URL's are longer. However, it is an idea, which can be improved on.
Using GET would defeat the purpose as it would allow people to bypass the license and download directly. Which is the whole point of the current setup.
That's a good point Dylan... I guess that kills the idea.

From my standpoint, what if it was required that the plugin had a LICENSE.txt file in its root.

People generally don't read the legalese anyways... I just sum it up to "use it, and don't redistribute it".
Pages: 1 2 3 4