MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Dual booting XP from a Fedora installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm trying to figure out how to create a separate partition alongside my Fedora installation so I can install XP on it. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do so, and no matter where I search it doesn't tell me.

If anyone knows, that would be appreciated.
Well, for one you're kinda doing it backwards. You should always install Windoze first so that when you install Linux the GRUB or LILO boot loader installation will pick up the Windoze partition and add an option for it. If you install Windoze 2nd, its bootloader overwrites the Linux one and you can't get back to Linux w/out a manual reinstallation of your Linux boot loader.

Here is my general process for doing this (when I'm reformatting a system completely):
  1. Download & burn BootItNG
  2. Boot your computer with the BootItNG cd in the drive.
  3. Click cancel for installation of BootItNG, this takes you to the tools section.
  4. Use the partitioning tool to delete all partitions on the drive.
  5. Create a partition for Windoze, I normally do 20 to 40 GB for XP.
  6. Do not create partitions for Linux, leave the rest of the drive empty!
  7. Reboot, removing the BootItNG CD from the drive.
  8. Boot with the Windows XP install CD in the drive.
  9. Proceed with installing Windoze.
  10. Once Windoze install is complete, reboot with the Linux install CD/DVD in the drive.
  11. Install Linux, allowing it to automatically create its partitions (or manually create them if you prefer) in the empty space on the drive.
  12. Enjoy your new dual boot system

Maybe next time you'll listen when I say set it up for dual boot from the get go Toungue
So you're saying I can't install Windoze without removing my current Fedora installation?

My bad Toungue
(2011-12-23, 01:43 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]So you're saying I can't install Windoze without removing my current Fedora installation?

My bad Toungue

No, I didn't say that at all Toungue

I just said it would be a Pain In Your Arse Toungue
How about I just install XP over Fedora?
(2011-12-23, 01:55 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]How about I just install XP over Fedora?

Then you lose Linux completely. If you're gonna do that, do the Step By Step I wrote above to have both Wink
I don't even know why I am using Linux, originally it was to get some web administration/sysadmin experience, but so far I've done of that. I think I might install XP, then boot Fedora from a VM and get practice there.
(2011-12-23, 02:02 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]I don't even know why I am using Linux, originally it was to get some web administration/sysadmin experience, but so far I've done of that. I think I might install XP, then boot Fedora from a VM and get practice there.

Because Windoze sucks. Thats why you use it. No viruses to speak of, more secure... free... Wink
(2011-12-23, 02:41 AM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

Aye, I have that bookmarked along with these two:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1
http://jmd.cc/linux/oh-windows-how-youve...nux-story/
Pages: 1 2 3 4