MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: General Support Read Me First!--What qualifies as support; Tips for posting; IRC/Wiki
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before requesting support, please read through this post and make sure you are posting the right information in the right place. This will make it much easier for you to get the help you need, and for us to help you.

What Qualifies As General Support (by Chris Boulton)
We feel it was time that some rules were drawn up for the "General Support" forum for MyBB. Day to day we're seeing many threads posted 'how do i change the code to do this', 'how do i modify the template to do this'. We're also seeing people ask for support for code modifications and plugins which are not written by the MyBB Group.

This isn't the appropriate forum for such things.

The MyBB Group provides support in this forum for:
  • General issues with MyBB
  • General faults (which could possibly be bugs) with MyBB
  • "How do I use feature x and feature y" discussions
This is not the support forum for:
  • "I installed a plugin and now my board doesn't work"
  • "This plugin is performing incorrectly"
  • Questions relating to the modification of MyBB in terms of code, themes and templates.
We have appropriate forums for such discussion in our Customization sections.

Please also remember to use a descriptive title when posting as this allows us to quickly and possibly identify a problem and provide a solution, as well as provides us with a "priority scale."

Failure to abide by these support rules may result in:
  • No support being given for such questions
  • Your thread being deleted (extreme cases) and you being notified through the use of a PM
  • Your thread being directly moved (with no redirect) to the appropriate forum

Help us help the users by posting in the correct section.

Tips on Asking for Support (by Ryan Ashbrook)
Original thread

Here's just a few tips on asking for support. Smile

1. Do not use thread titles such as "Help!!" or "Not working!"

Create a title that is unique and is descriptive of your problem.

Generally when the people want to give you answers they'd like to know what they're dealing with before looking at the thread.

2. Use descriptive details of your problem.

It really helps when you quote any errors being shown, and providing explicit detail about your problem. Screenshots are highly recommended. Provide the link to the problem page if possible.

3. Bumping Threads

I see this a lot here. And I think it would help if you only bumped your thread after a day of no response. If your problem is not addressed, don't fret, someone will usually see it. And if they don't I suggest giving the thread a day before bumping it.

4. Versions

Please indicate in your post which version of MyBB you are using (copy the exact version information from Admin CP --> Version Check. Example: Your Version: 1.03 (100.10))

It may also be a good idea to indicate which version of PHP and MySQL you use, available on the Admin CP Homepage.

5. Try to fix it yourself.

We're glad you use MyBB, and we're glad to help you out with your issue. But, instead of just running to us with an issue, always try to fix it yourself, who knows? Maybe you'll find your answer yourself. Smile

And if your efforts failed, tell us about it so that we know what you have tried to do already.

Sometimes, problems have been fixed in newer versions of MyBB. So if it is convenient, upgrade your board to see if the problem persists.

6. Do not private message, or instant message, people for help. Important! (Tip from Matt Light)

Private messaging people for help is annoying and it won't help you get an answer quicker. This includes PMing people to ask them to read a thread. Only PM someone for support if they ask you to. Instant Messaging for help is also looked down upon, and extremely annoying.

7. Search The Forums First! Read the FAQ! (Tip from Lucid)

Use the search feature, it is your friend. Wink Your problem may have already been addressed. Why open a new thread when there is already the same one with the answers. Big Grin Also read the sticky threads at the top of the support forums.

There is a FAQ available on the MyBB Wiki that may answer your question.

8. Use proper English! (Tip from k776)

The last thing we want is to try and understand what the heck you are saying. Also proofread your message, so we don't have to ask you to explain. We understand that not everyone here may be fluent in English, and that it may not be your fault for not having English as your dominant language, so just try your best.

9. Correct Place (Tip from k776)

Please read this thread to ensure that you are posting in the right forum.

Please post your support question in the right forum, I haven't seen much of this but it's always good to leave Bug Reports and Support Questions seperate, if a Support Question becomes a Bug, we'll move it accordingly.

Also, don't be afraid to open more than one thread for each question you want to ask. This makes it easier to discuss each question, than all at once in one thread with many problems on it.

10. Don't get annoyed (Tip from k776)

If someone cannot help you, but instead gives you a link to something that might help you, don't get annoyed because you don't have the answer right there and then. Go to the link and check it out. If you cannot make sense of it, say so. Don't get into an argument.

Remember, we, the support team members (and the other members in the MyBB community) are human beings who volunteer our time to help you out. We try to respond to your support requests and to resolve them as soon as possible, and so please bear with us.

11. Helping Out (Tip from k776)

If you know the answer, don't just say "You gotta...." but actually help out. Give them a step by step guide on what they can do to fix it. Not everyone knows what you know. So let them know.

IRC Channel
If you are looking for a more instant response to your support request, or to just chat about MyBB or anything else, you may try to post a request on our IRC channel.

Network: irc.msgplus.net
Channel: #MyBB

irc://irc.msgplus.net/mybb

If you have a web browser with Java enabled, you can use this applet: http://www.dennistt.net/irc/mybb.php

More information...

The Wiki

The Wiki contains many pages of information varying from the documentation of MyBB to modifications to solutions of common problems.

Start on the [wiki]Main Page[/wiki] or view solutions to common problems on the [Wiki: Help:Contents] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead) page.
Please remember!

This is NOT the forum to ask how to modify MyBB Source Code, or MyBB Templates.

These questions should be asked in their respective forums!

Plugins & Code Modifications. This is for questions regarding modifying MyBB Source Code to get a desired effect, that is not standard to MyBB.

Templates, Themes, and Graphics. This is for modifying MyBB's Templates to change the look and feel of your MyBB Installation.

Please remember to post in the appropriate forum.

Updated for the recent Modifcations forum change. - Ryan