MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: what is spamming?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been on av few forums in the past, and i get confused of some persons definition of spamming. Sometime I ask what may seem to them to be stupid questions and they call that spamming?Sad Are they wrong or am i wrong?
Or has spamming taken on a whole new meaning?Undecided
2 things:

- Legitimate users posting poor quality messages over and over again.
- Bots posting bad links.
Or
- posting for nothing but post count
- posting without adding anything to the discussion/posting something completely irrelevant
- simply quoting the person above's post without comment
- saying "ok", "+1" or "thanks" and nothing else is sometimes considered as spam
SPAM = Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages.
(2011-12-24, 11:27 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]SPAM = Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages.

Spam to me is either:
Bots that post links and fill out their full profile for the purposes of advertising.
Users that post messages like "/signed" or "Agreed" or "+1" or something like that.

Basically,

(2011-12-24, 11:27 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]SPAM = Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages.

most people assume any pointless post is spam, mainly if they're getting butthurt in their thread

but spam, like most things, is highly subjective
(2011-12-25, 10:12 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]but spam, like most things, is highly subjective

That's right, it depends on the moderator, the thread and its aims/topic, as well as the post in question.

In short, use your own best judgement, set some basic guidelines for yourself and other moderators, and then make your users aware of those guidelines.

By guidelines, I mean criteria for a post being considered/not being considered spam.
I'd go with Nathan Malcolm's definition.
Look at the first 10,000 of my posts. Toungue
Spamming is creating short threads and replies are creating uesless posts.
Pages: 1 2