MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help with forum redirection - try #2 403 Forbidden error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings everyone!

I ran into another slight problem, that I thought was fixed but is not...

I have (2) different mybb sites on the same server, but in different folders. Each domain is pointed to the default server folder. When I pointed each domain name to the corresponding mybb folder, I get a this..

**update**

I removed all redirects and cleaned up my server, and pointed the domains to their corresponding folders.
Now when I access either of them via the domain, I get a 403 forbidden error...

ANY and all help is appreciated. I am so desperate to figure this out!!

Thank you so much in advance.Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
403 usually means a CHMODding issue. Sometimes, adding the trailing slash passes the 403, while only having te forward slash triggers it...

That is if I remember my experience correctly.
(2011-12-25, 12:15 AM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]403 usually means a CHMODding issue. Sometimes, adding the trailing slash passes the 403, while only having te forward slash triggers it...

That is if I remember my experience correctly.

I updated my first post, I am getting what is pictured up there.
It looks like images are missing, and that Stylesheets seem to be absent. Make sure images are in the proper directory.

I haven't done what you have done before, but that is what those boxes with color boxes in them mean - that an image can't be found.

Sorry, but this is just about all I can understand. This is simply a situation I have not read about, or been in.
(2011-12-25, 12:25 AM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like images are missing, and that Stylesheets seem to be absent. Make sure images are in the proper directory.

I haven't done what you have done before, but that is what those boxes with color boxes in them mean - that an image can't be found.

Sorry, but this is just about all I can understand. This is simply a situation I have not read about, or been in.

It all developed because I got a deal on a shared server for 2 domains. I dont have enough traffic to have an issue with sharing, but getting everything directed the right way is becoming a pain in the butt.

I am thinking everything that does not have direct HTTP:// links is not showing up. The few grahpics that are showing up, have full web addresses.

So I believe it might be as simple as changing something in the mybb configuration....
Is the second domain an "addon" domain? You should (I think - once again, never done it myself before) be able to go into cPanel and set up a plain redirection to the domain that mybb is configured for...

I don't know if this keeps the domain configuration/usage the same as you want, but it is the best that I can understand your situation and resolve it...
(2011-12-25, 12:44 AM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]Is the second domain an "addon" domain? You should (I think - once again, never done it myself before) be able to go into cPanel and set up a plain redirection to the domain that mybb is configured for...

I don't know if this keeps the domain configuration/usage the same as you want, but it is the best that I can understand your situation and resolve it...

edit
By folders on the server,
Are those folders you mentioned "home" directories, or are they in one of the public_html or www folders?

I think I am starting to understand a little more, but still need to know a few more things to understand the structure. Every server/host is different, even if only by a little bit.
(2011-12-25, 12:57 AM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]By folders on the server,
Are those folders you mentioned "home" directories, or are they in one of the public_html or www folders?

I think I am starting to understand a little more, but still need to know a few more things to understand the structure. Every server/host is different, even if only by a little bit.

They are in the main server directory.

Here is a pic

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9530/serverya.jpg

Via cpanel, I have each domain pointed to its corresponding folder on the server.

I found this on the net, I dont know if it applies..
Quote:When the browser goes to your URL, it looks for index.html. If it doesn't exist, it will give an error (403 forbidden)

Perhaps I need a index.html? Obviously mybb uses index.php.. or am I way off track?

Progress is being made!

I figured out part of the problem for anyone in the future who has this going on...

I had the cookies path set to my sub folder on the main server directory. It needed to be set to "/" in the /inc/settings.php file.

**************************************************************************SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turns out it was simply a problem with my configuration in mybb.

I designed both sites in sub folders.

When I changed the domain to the home directory of the folder, I had to go back and take off the sub directory in my settings.php file.

Once I did that, I stopped getting the forbidden error, and both sites are up!

THANKS so much for your help gamer.
You're very welcome! I am glad you got those settings resolved.

index.php, index.html, index.shtml, and several index.* files are the same, some get higher priorities, but all of which will work.

Generally a server does not throw a forbidden error when there is no index file, instead it reveals the directory structure, but I could be wrong. This is another of those scenarios where every server and web host is different.
Pages: 1 2