MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how many html colour codes do you know ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just know #000000 black and #ffffff whiteSmile
#FF0000 = Red
#FFFFFF = White
#000000 = Black
#FF9900 = Orange
#FF00FF = Pink
#999999 = Grey
#CCCCCC = Light Grey
I know a grand total of 16,777,216 color codes, not counting alpha values (which would bump it up to 4 billion). When I need a color, I tend to think in terms of RGB. Once you know that R+G = yellow, R+B = magenta, and G+B = teal, you have everything you need to know to make any color displayable by the screen.

For example: Brown
Well, we know R+G = yellow, and orange is yellow+red, so we need more red in our yellow. Since red is capped at #FF or 255, we can instead reduce green. The more we reduce the green, the less the color is yellow, so if we go to #80 or 128 for the green, we've got twice as much red as green, giving a nice orange. From there, brown is just a dark orange so we cut each value in half again, giving #80 for red and #40 for green. Throw in a touch of blue to desaturate it a little and you've got #804010.

The key trick is to just mess around with it, as well as learn your hex.
Don't remember name of colors, but i use the following mostly.

#ffffff
#efefef
#f5f5f5
#f3f3f3
#cccccc
Excepting #ffffff and #000000, knowledge of color codes is inversely proportional to an individual's resourcefulness.

Why? Because you can find a chart of them in 2seconds, instead of filling your head with useless information such as color codes.
#FF0000 red
#AA0000 dark red
#00FF00 green
#00AA00 dark green
#0000FF blue
#0000AA dark blue...

When you have the same sequence of red and green and blue, it gives you gray colors, example:
#B5B5B5, #AAAAAA, #989898, #C0C0C0, #F1F1F1, #121212..................

#FFF or #FFFFFF white
#000 or #000000 black

(2011-12-28, 10:31 AM)HermXIV Wrote: [ -> ]Why? Because you can find a chart of them in 2seconds, instead of filling your head with useless information such as color codes.

^^^^
It's not useless, you don't learn them, you memorize them intelligently...
I believe firestryke just proved that you can learn hex colors.
#FFFFFF
#222.... you get the picture basic grey tones and a few colours, Not quite 16,000,000 colours but. close.
I didn't learn each of the colors, I just know what percentages of red, green, and blue make what colors, then use the fact that I have to know hex for good C/C++ programming to map those percentages to hex values. Once you've been poking at RGB values for a year, you kind of figure what the end result is going to be. Also, 90% of the time, I tend to use Photoshop's HSV color picker to get my base colors rather than manually figuring them out. It's when I need to tweak those colors, or when Photoshop isn't effective, that the knowledge comes in handy. Plus, charts rarely cover all of the different combinations, and subtle changes can make a big difference depending on the context.

Also, protip: If you have all pairs of values, such as #996611, you can drop the second digit of each one to save some space, i.e. #961. Those bytes add up, and the fastest bytes to send are the ones you don't have to.
Colour picker.

/thread
Pages: 1 2