MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Text errors in SQL server move - urgent as would like forum back up for 2012! :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently I moved my site to a new server. That's gone well, but unfortunately there is but a small problem. Some characters that aren't used as often have become odd, if that's one way of putting it. The em dash character ("—") for instance has become —. Some other characters have changed too. I don't know what the cause of this is, but I've continued to keep the forum closed until the matter is resolved. If I'm going to need to restore the database again, it would be a shame to lose new posts if I reopened it.

If anyone has any idea of what's causing this, please let me know. I have no idea. I figured it might be to do with the text encoding in the SQL, and perhaps some differences in the new server, but otherwise I'm not sure. Thanks.
What is your database encoding?
UTF8 Unicode. (Specifically "utf8_unicode_ci".)

Is that what you're looking for? I'm using phpMyAdmin.
Bump. Apparently changing the thread title to "HALP MEEEE!!!!!" will get me a solution more quickly, but I won't stoop to that.
Aw crap, anti-bump protection.
Hopefully I can now bump.
Final bump with a New Year's wish for some support. Because honestly, I searched for the problem, can't find a thing, and I don't have the foggiest clue of how to fix this. Sad
Try changing the encoding to utf8_general_ci. I'm not very familiar with database encoding but I know general is what MyBB defaults with.
Thanks, but unfortunately the problem still exists. I'd be grateful for any other suggestions.
I've concluded for now that it was probably MyBB's backup utility that caused this. I should have asked my old host to provide the database.